Have You Used Fluid Flex Or Liquid Shortening?

Decorating By cocobean Updated 6 Apr 2014 , 5:06pm by jules20109

cocobean Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 10:56pm
post #1 of 20

Is anyone out there familar with Fluid Flex or Liquid shortening? If so where do you buy it? Do you have a recipe for white cake with it?

19 replies
cocobean Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 12:35am
post #2 of 20

Rylan Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 3:14pm
post #3 of 20

I'm not sure but I think I've seen liquid shortening at Costco and Smart and Final.

cocobean Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 3:46pm
post #4 of 20

Thanx Rylan, I'll try that!

Still wondering if anyone has used it and has a recipe for white cake! icon_smile.gif

Kimmers971 Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 5:18pm
post #5 of 20

You might get more replies if you post under another forum instead of Cake Disasters.

Good Luck!

Kimmers971 Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 5:22pm
post #6 of 20

You might get more replies if you post under another forum instead of Cake Disasters.

Good Luck!

cocobean Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 6:28pm
post #7 of 20

I have no clue how I got this under Cake Disasters! How did I do that? icon_confused.gif

pastrygirl2009 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 9:37pm
post #8 of 20

fluid flex is a liquid shortening and is mainly used by comercial bakerys. it last practry forever. and is used in high ratio cakes. im not sure where you could get it but I know that we use it all the time at school. Oh and there is another brand called nutex and that is made by the same company that sells sweetex, any way nutex is the same thing as fluid flex.

Bijoudelanuit Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 10:26pm
post #9 of 20

I have a formula for liquid shortening cakes- but I believe it's more of a yellow cake than white. I can look for it if you're interested...

cocobean Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 6:01am
post #10 of 20

Thanks Bijoudelanuit, that would be great. I'd love to check it out!

Bijoudelanuit Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 10:37am
post #11 of 20

Vanilla Liquid Shortening Sponge Cake
Yield: 3 9 inch rounds

Eggs, Whole 1 lb 10 1/2 oz.
Shortening, liquid, high-ratio 10 oz
Whole Milk 8 oz
Vanilla Extract 1 oz
Sugar, granulated 1 lb 4 oz
Cake flour 1 lb
Baking powder 1 1/8 oz
Salt 1/4 oz

Method of preparation:
1. Gather the equipment and ingredients.
2. Grease only the bottoms of the cake pans.
3. Place all of the liquid ingredients in a mixing bowl.
4. Sift all of the dry ingredients together.
5. Place all of the sifted ingredients on top of the liquid ingredients in the bowl.
6. Using a whip, whip on first speed until the ingredients are blended slightly, approximately 30 seconds.
7. Whip for 4 minutes on high speed, scrape the bowl well.
8. Whip for 3 minutes on medium speed, scrape the bowl well.
9. Fill 9-inch cake pans with 1 pound, 7 ounces of batter.
10. Bake at 350 F degrees, until the cake is golden brown.
11. Cool in the pans for 5 to 10 minutes.
12. Turn out onto paper-lined sheet pans, and remove the pans.

cocobean Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 9:22pm
post #12 of 20

Thanks so much Bijoudelanuit, icon_smile.gif I'm going to give it a try if you think I can use the high ratio shortening that I have. My high ratio is a solid though. Do you think I could melt it and use it the same way? I don't know anywhere to buy the liquid shortening.

Also, I wonder if I could use all egg whites for a white cake?

Bijoudelanuit Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 9:27pm
post #13 of 20

I honestly don't know about melting the solid high ratio- it would be interesting to see what happens... I've never tried the all egg white with this formula- in truth I've not used it since I was in pastry school!

pastrygirl2009 Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 4:45pm
post #14 of 20

i dont think melting a high ratio shortening such as sweetex would work. fluid flex is only partiality hydrogenated which is why it has the texture it does. And as for using all whites I am not quite sure as to how that would work but I guess you could give it a try. I have a recepie that is similar to Bijoudelanuit's. I love working with fluid flex.

cocobean Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 5:51pm
post #15 of 20

pastrygirl2009, where do you buy your fluid flex and how big of a quantity is it in. I would really love to try it but of course would like to start with a small amount. Would you mind posting your recipe that you use with it so I can see the difference with the above recipe? Would you happen to have a recipe for a white cake that uses fluid flex?

Also, are you a home baker or do you know about fluid flex from commercial baking or pastry school?

The reading I've done on it sounds interesting and I would really love to try it!

Thanks icon_smile.gif

cakesdivine Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 6:47pm
post #16 of 20

Yes you can get liquid shortening at Costco or Sam's Club and also Restaurant Depot if there is one where you live.

cocobean Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 10:09pm
post #17 of 20

cakesdivine and Rylan, I have called Sams and Costco and noone knows what I am talking about with liquid shortening. I also told them it could have the name of Fluid Flex or Nutex but they say nope! They say we have a 5 gal. container of oil or peanut oil. icon_confused.gif

Do you have a name for what I am looking for at Sams or Costco?

I called a Resturant supply store near me and they don't have it either.

pastrygirl2009 Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 5:19pm
post #18 of 20

my school gets it from Chaney brothers (CBI). you could also try sysco, or rader foods but all of those are commercial places. and you can only get it in a 38 # bucket. I have worked with it at school and at a job I once held for a commercial bakery. hence why the amount is so large. I will look through my lab books to see where the recepie is. if I dont have it I will ask chef bonet for it!!

cocobean Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 10:23pm
post #19 of 20

Thanks so much pastrygirl!!! That would be great! icon_smile.gif

jules20109 Posted 6 Apr 2014 , 5:06pm
post #20 of 20

Just curious how did u Like the vanilla liquid shortening cake?

Quote by @%username% on %date%