Marketing To The Higher End, Living Outside The Major Cities

Business By Larkin121

Larkin121 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 10:42pm
post #1 of 1

Slowly making plans for a business (and I do mean slow... a lot of kinks to work out first and practice to go). One thing I know for sure having read all that I have on here is that I want to market to a higher end. I love baking gourmet flavors all from scratch, and I want to be known for that as much as for decorating. I also know I don't want to start realy low and raise prices every 6 months or something, and that I don't really want to work with the budget bride or party planner.

I've checked pricing around here and it really varies. I've seen everything from $2.75 (buttercream) to $6 for a starting price - but again, i do know that some people price low at first and tag a lot of extras later.

I know, I'm long winded, I promise I have a point. icon_smile.gif So, I live about 45 min south of the biggest city, 25 min east of the second biggest city, and about 1 hour from the richest city (Microsoft land, ooo la la, lol). But the town I live in is primarily young families starting out (like me!) and, in general, don't spend on the extras. I've seen others say, do they drive nice cars, wear nice clothes, etc etc and for the most part, right around here, they don't. So if I market to a higher end, my customers are not often going to be in town.... is that a problem?

Is it reasonable to think that I can market primarily to areas 45 min - 1 hr from me on a regular basis, or are they just going to go with someone close to them? There is no shortage of cake decorators in those two cities. When I search online, almost all of them are there. I wonder if this will harm me, like with delivery, since if I charge for the distance and their local places don't, would they really want to pay the difference? Or, in the higher market, is money no object once they find the cake of their dreams?

I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions as I start exploring more into becoming legal and making a go of this!

0 replies

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%