Questions About Covering W/ri And About Shrink Wrap.

Baking By JCE62108 Updated 16 Jul 2009 , 11:04pm by sweetcravings

JCE62108 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 8:03pm
post #1 of 7

Im very new to cookies. I just did a batch of cookies for my sister in laws baby shower and they look beautiful. I baked them all on a stick, and as a result it make the middle domed a bit. When I go to flood it with the RI, how can I keep the icing from running off the middle and flooding the edges? I know to outline it first, but with the middle domed Im not quite sure how this is going to work. Suggestions?

Also I read somewhere that shrink wrap can be used for cookies, however I could not find any in the cake decorating section of michaels. They only have the kind for making baskets. Is this the kind you are talking about? Is it food safe? It did not say anywhere on the packaging specifically that it was foodsafe, nor did it say it was toxic. The staff had no clue.

Thanks guys. icon_smile.gif

6 replies
sweetcravings Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 11:36pm
post #2 of 7

Well lets see if i can answer your question. ;0)
I think that if you outline the cookie with a stiffer royal first you should be ok. I would just apply the thinner icing you are using to flood with, with a smaller round tip so that the icing doesn't get too thick and run over that edge. I've had cookies that have domed ever so slightly and they have been fine once iced. How big is the dome? If it is just a little bit domed i wouldn't worry a bit. If my cookies come out of the oven domed i will often just press down ever so gently with a spatula to bring that pesky bit down.

I have never shrink wrapped my cookies, so i'm not sure if that stuff at michaels is safe. I use treat bags with ties to cover my cookies. It keeps them plenty fresh. Perhaps someone else will be able to help you on that.

JCE62108 Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 12:18am
post #3 of 7

Thank you! Next time Ill try pressing them down a bit. Thats a good idea. My computer has been acting up so I wasnt able to check back earlier to see your reply, but Ive already started icing some of them. I used royal that was a little thicker to flood it with. It works, sort of. Not all of them are as smooth as Id like but its ok for a first try I think. Besides, my sis is getting them for free as her baby shower gift. LOL. This is good practice. icon_smile.gif

sweetcravings Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 1:36am
post #4 of 7

Glad i could help. Pls post them when you're all done. I'm sure your sister will love them no matter what because it's all the love you are putting into them.

JCE62108 Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:55am
post #5 of 7

I hope she does! It would make my day. Im making her a cake as well. I have a lot of work ahead of me. icon_smile.gif Im so excited about my future nephew. My son is a year now and has pretty much grown out of the baby thing and going into the toddler phase. It will be fun to play with a little teeny one again. icon_smile.gif

JCE62108 Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:02pm
post #6 of 7

Oh and another question. How long do I have to wait for the icing to dry before I package them?

sweetcravings Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 11:04pm
post #7 of 7

I guess that depends on the recipe you use. I use antonia74's royal icing and generally I flood the cookie one day, the next day i add details, so by the third day they should be good and dry enough to pkg.

Quote by @%username% on %date%