How Much Would You Charge For This?

Decorating By cakelovincrazy Updated 16 Jul 2009 , 2:04am by JaimeAnn

cakelovincrazy Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 7:42pm
post #1 of 5

I'm new to baking and trying to start slowly into charging for cakes I make. Originally I was going to help this person make this cake just for my own practice, but now she said she doesn't have time.
I want to offer to make it for her, but I want to charge her of course, but I'm not sure how much since I'm just starting out.
If the person was an aquaitenance and you were new to baking what would you charge to make this?

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_254413.html

4 replies
cylstrial Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 8:45pm
post #2 of 5

No one has answered because they probably don't want to leave the bad news with you. The thing is, it's illegal to sell Disney cakes. Disney won't let you because they don't get any of the money from the sale. =o( If you look at the papers that came with the pan, it explains it pretty well.

Now if that's weren't a Disney cake, I'd say charge $3.00 a slice. It's a good looking cake! (I'm not sure how many slices that pan is supposed to serve).

Good luck!

leah_s Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 9:57pm
post #3 of 5

1. Your have to be working out of a licensed kitchen to sell at all.
2. You can't sell a Disney cake anyway.

cakelovincrazy Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 1:56am
post #4 of 5

WOW I had no idea! Glad I posted here. I didn't buy the pan, a friend was going to let me borrow it, so I don't have any notes or instructions with it.

I just looked at someone's website, not from here but someone local and under her gallery of cakes she has the Disney character cake. I assumed it was one she sold since she has it on her business website.

Hmmm wonder if it is the same if I just charge her for ingredients to make it?
Does that mean you can not make any type of cake with a Mickey Face on it or you just can't use the Mickey cake pan?
What if I made it out of my own round pans?

Leahs, as a hobby baker I'm not aloud to sell cakes out of my kitchen unless I'm licensed?

JaimeAnn Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:04am
post #5 of 5

Correct even as a hobby baker you are not allowed to sell any food items out of your home kitchen.. Unless you are inspected and licensed..

And you cannot reproduce a copyrighted character in any form to sell , the pans are only for personal use.

If this other person is selling the Mickey cakes without permission from disney (which is highly unlikely) she could get in BIG trouble.

Sorry for the bad news.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%