Help With A Wedding Cake

Decorating By Cathy26 Updated 17 Jul 2009 , 7:40pm by Cathy26

Cathy26 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 7:06pm
post #1 of 12

Hi everyone, I just got a request for the wedding cake on www.thecakegirls.com - the gift boxes with the giant diamond rings.

ok so the cake I could manage but havent a clue how they made the rings - how do you make them strong enough and also how on earth do you make the diamond?

Any tips much appreciated - i really want to do this cake!!

11 replies
lynseyg2002 Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:48pm
post #2 of 12

Hi,
I've just had a look about for you, and they sell Ring moulds on Amazon. Hopefully they are the ones you are looking for, and hope this helps.

Cathy26 Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 11:14pm
post #3 of 12

I checked those out but I think they are moulds for jellies, etc rather than the diamond part.

Does anyone have any other ideas?? I really want them to look perfect

Cheers!!

__Jamie__ Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 11:21pm
post #4 of 12

Build a really strong "ring" out of wire, and cover with GP perhaps, or figure out what it takes to use one of those glass paperweights shaped like a diamond. I see them on the end caps at Michaels.

cylstrial Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 11:21pm
post #5 of 12

I found a diamond paper weight at Hobby Lobby for a couple of dollars. It will work well if you are planning to do a big ring. If you want the little rings that were just kind of on the side, it wouldn't work as well.

stephaniescakenj Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 11:31pm
post #6 of 12

They did a cake sort of similar on TV, it was for an engagement party but they used the rings on it. If I recall, they were made out of chocolate using a mold.

cylstrial Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 12:01am
post #7 of 12

Here is the cake that I got the idea from. She said she found the diamond paper weight and then I went and found it at Hobby Lobby. She tells you what she uses in the description. She uses RKTs for the ring. Hope this helps.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1339244

Malakin Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 12:14am
post #8 of 12

From what Mary Maher said on the show, the diamonds were made out of chocolate and the bands out of gumpaste. She didn't state anything about supports in the bands, but they don't always divulge everything.

cylstrial Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 12:29am
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakin

From what Mary Maher said on the show, the diamonds were made out of chocolate and the bands out of gumpaste. She didn't state anything about supports in the bands, but they don't always divulge everything.

You know, we don't get that channel and it drives me crazy! Because I want to watch it!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

luts88 Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 2:56pm
post #10 of 12

Those all sound like great ideas. I don't know the biggest you can get them but I do know that many sites sell sugar diamonds just google it. I just ordered some of the smaller ones for a cake for my sister.

Cathy26 Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 7:39pm
post #11 of 12

Found it!! saw this cake posted here and saw that it is indeed a chocolate mould and they have them on amazon for a couple of dollars!! sweet!!
LL

Cathy26 Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 7:40pm
post #12 of 12

Found it!! saw this cake posted here and saw that it is indeed a chocolate mould and they have them on amazon for a couple of dollars!! sweet!!
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%