Help! Icing In This Heat....yikes!

Decorating By tomsteph Updated 17 Jul 2009 , 1:07am by TexasSugar

tomsteph Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 7:04pm
post #1 of 8

Ok, I've made many cakes and it seems like this always happens with the heat rather than in the cooler months. I'm in Texas first of all...The icing does well and crusts when I'm at home, but once I leave the house with it and it gets in the heat the icing literally will start to melt down the side of the cake....HELP!!! Do any of you know of anything I can do to help prevent this. I use Crisco, powdered sugar, milk and sometimes water and flavoring in the icing. At first I thought it could be the icing mixing in with the cake ingredients and some of the icing separates from the cake, but I'm not sure now. I don't freeze my cakes. Is there anyone who might be able to suggest anything to me. I have many cakes coming up and I don't want this to happen again...Please!!!!!

Thank you for any responses!

Stephanie

7 replies
jimandmollie Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 3:28am
post #2 of 8

Try indydebi's buttercream recipe. It is in the recipe section. It works awesome!

Loucinda Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 3:15pm
post #3 of 8

Sugarshacks recipe works in the heat also, so you have 2 options for your heat proof icing now! (I actually set a decorated piece of cake outside in the 95 degree heat/sun to see how it holds up - so I KNOW it works!)

cutelove Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 3:26pm
post #4 of 8

Hi I live in Florida and have outdoors birthday partys and Wilton is the best for me

cutelove Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 3:27pm
post #5 of 8

Hi I live in Florida and have outdoor birthday partys and Wilton is the best for me

cutelove Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 3:27pm
post #6 of 8

Hi I live in Florida and have outdoor birthday partys and Wilton is the best for me

cutelove Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 3:30pm
post #7 of 8

TexasSugar Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 1:07am
post #8 of 8

Stephanie, what are the amounts of the items you are using? Most BC recipes have those ingredients but vary based on amounts.

Last year I went back to adding meringue powder in my icing, because I too am in Texas and have to deal with the heat and humidity. The meringue powder helps make it more stable this time of year when the temps just keep going up and up and up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%