What Is The Trick To Putting Ribbon On A Cake.

Decorating By adorablemomof3 Updated 26 Mar 2013 , 7:24pm by -K8memphis

adorablemomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adorablemomof3 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 6:41pm
post #1 of 32

Hi everyone....It's been a minute. Hope everyone is well! I want to make a cake for my mother and I want to put a ribbon around it. I don't see information yet on how to do this. Can someone help me out?

TIA

Bridgitte'

31 replies
Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 7:01pm
post #2 of 32

I know there are probably posts, but I know it can be hard to use the search feature - LOL! Cut the ribbon as long as you need it, use a small rolling pin/fondant roller/anything cylindrical like that and roll the ribbon onto that (wrapping straight around it if that makes sense), then place the end where you want the ribbon to start and roll/unwind it onto the cake where you want it! It may take a few tries to perfect it, but it's a fairly simple technique to place ribbon. HTH!

lauden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauden Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 7:10pm
post #3 of 32

If I am placing ribbon on a cake with buttercream frosting, I will use double stick tape and wax or parchment paper. I just stick the tape onto the paper and then lay the ribbon down onto the tape. I then just trim the paper on each edge of the ribbon. I then roll the ribbon paper side out and secure with a straight pin until I am ready to unroll and place it onto the cake.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 7:10pm
post #4 of 32

To prevent marring of the frosting, and having to shift it around, I do it very differently than the way described above. I start with a very chilled cake, and find the middle of the ribbon (between the two cut ends, I mean). I attach the middle of the ribbon to the very front of the middle of the tier it is going on. And work around to the back on both sides at the same time. This ensures that there isn't any shifting or creeping up in areas if you apply it starting at the end, and working around in one direction only.

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 7:11pm
post #5 of 32

if you don't want it to absorb the grease than iron some wax paper to the back of it.

adorablemomof3 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 7:16pm
post #6 of 32

and based on the way all of you apply your ribbons...it will just stick? nothing else is necessary? Hmph...seems fairly easy.

__Jamie__ Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 7:19pm
post #7 of 32

If it's BC, it should grip right in. I line mine with clear contact paper on the back to make it very stiff, and not sage or look crumpled when BC soaks into it. I don't use a crusting BC (except in rare occasions), so I have to watch for it. On fondant, a small dab of stragetically placed piping gel or royal icing will work in areas.

maralin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maralin Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 7:21pm
post #8 of 32

im curious....how does the ribbon stay put.....should it be secured with something?

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 7:23pm
post #9 of 32

k - I'm a dork, just assumed you meant fondant ribbon, LOL!!

__Jamie__ Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 7:27pm
post #10 of 32

Oh yeah, fondant ribbon, I do it like you described for sure Renae...lol, I assumed we were talking about real ribbon! Lol!

adorablemomof3 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 7:32pm
post #11 of 32

and based on the way all of you apply your ribbons...it will just stick? nothing else is necessary? Hmph...seems fairly easy.

adorablemomof3 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 7:35pm
post #12 of 32

Sorry for the confusion...I was talking about applying a real ribbon to the cake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adorablemomof3

Hi everyone....It's been a minute. Hope everyone is well! I want to make a cake for my mother and I want to put a ribbon around it. I don't see information yet on how to do this. Can someone help me out?

TIA

Bridgitte'

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 11:42pm
post #13 of 32

Real ribbon can absorb grease from BC so you have to either line it with wax paper or packing tape, or choose a ribbon a shade lighter and grease it with crisco. I just did the second version on a wedding cake. Rub crisco into it and it will discolor evenly.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 6:02am
post #14 of 32

I don't like using ribbons on cake unless it is food safe. If you want to use it, overlap the ribbons and stick double sided tape on the ends.

ruwaida5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruwaida5 Posted 8 Mar 2013 , 7:38pm
post #15 of 32

Hi. i really need some help please.  The bride wants multiple ribbons on a foudant cake one small, medium and small. hope u understand me. So my que. is how can i make them staight all alround. All the ribbons are 4 ribbons in one cake. I will really appreciate your help.  My email. [email protected].  PLEASE HELP.  

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 8 Mar 2013 , 7:52pm
post #16 of 32

AWhat kind of ribbon?

ruwaida5 Posted 10 Mar 2013 , 6:18pm
post #17 of 32

Thank you for replying. The ribbon that i was talking about is the one that u buy from mcalls. Its a store for cake decorating supply.  So how can i make the ribbons straight all around?.  Thank you very much

View IMG-20130305-WA0001.jpg in slide show

ruwaida5 Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 5:23pm
post #18 of 32

Hi everyone.  my que. is about multiple ribbon on a cake.  the bride wants 4 ribbons. 1 medium , small medium and small.  So how can i  make them straight all around  in a perfect circle? please help.  my email. is [email protected]

Thank you. I wll be using ribbons from baking supplies.

ruwaida5 Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 5:56pm
post #19 of 32

Hi which fondat is best for wedding cakes? thanx

Margaret393 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Margaret393 Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 6:32pm
post #20 of 32

One way to ensure that the ribbon sits straight around the cake - is to ensure that the sides of the cake are vertical, smooth - free from bumps or bulges.

Sometimes you may find that fondant or buttercream can be thicker at the bottom of the cake than the top, but you can rectify this problem by doing the following:

Fondant - rotate the cake on a turntable between two flat edge smoothers pushing upwards for a more even distribution of fondant - to ensure the sides are vertical.

Buttercream rotate cake on a turntable, and with a side scraper or palette knife - apply more pressure from the bottom of the cake upwards - to remove or redistribute the excess buttercream towards the top edge of the cake - to ensure the sides are vertical

Hope this helps!

ruwaida5 Posted 20 Mar 2013 , 5:38pm
post #21 of 32

Thank you very much for your help. it infor. really helps, but what about the other ribbons. is there any tool that i can use to make them straight all around? the pic of the cake i posted it last week. at the top at the page, three tiered cake with ribbons all around and magnolia flower.  plz help. thank you.icon_biggrin.gif

arlenej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arlenej Posted 20 Mar 2013 , 7:27pm
post #22 of 32

check out the http://craftsy.com class by Jessica Harris. Or better yet, check her blog she's got a 50% off offer there.

Margaret393 Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 11:35am
post #23 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruwaida5 

Thank you very much for your help. it infor. really helps, but what about the other ribbons. is there any tool that i can use to make them straight all around? the pic of the cake i posted it last week. at the top at the page, three tiered cake with ribbons all around and magnolia flower.  plz help. thank you.icon_biggrin.gif

Hi ruwaida5

Where do I find the picture of the three tiered cake with ribbons all around and magnolia flower - that you posted last week? I have checked  this post and your photo albums, but with no results. Are there multiple ribbons on EACH tier of the cake?

Margaret393

ruwaida5 Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 1:15pm
post #24 of 32

Thank you very much Margaret.  Sorry you couldnt find the pic.  I will post it on profile.

ruwaida5 Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 1:27pm
post #25 of 32

That cake was just sample i didnt do it but the bride want it the same thing. i think its already in my profile click on photoes. and it also went in the cake central newest cakes{gallery}. Thank you Margaret

Margaret393 Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 2:35pm
post #26 of 32

Hi ruwaida5

Thanks for posting the cake again - its beautiful!

To ensure that the ribbons are even around the cake is - before youbegin, make sure that the sides are the cake are VERTICAL from the bottom upwards! Note how NEAT and STRAIGHT the sides are on your SAMPLE cake.  

When you have the first ribbon on, measure the exact distance above this one - where you want to position the second one - marking the fondant around the sides of the cake at intervals, with a cake scriber or an edible ink pen. This should help to keep the line space between the ribbons STRAIGHT.

Repeat this step with the 3rd and 4th ribbon - ensure all joins are facing in the one direction at the back of the cake

The other option would be to use a wider black ribbon, and position the narrow white one over the the black one - to give a similar effect.

Good luck with the challenge!

Hope this helps!

Margaret393

ruwaida5 Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 5:44pm
post #27 of 32

Oh my Thank you very much margaret. this really hepls alot, either i have to find the cake scriber coz it will be easy for me. i dont know where i will find it. If i didnt find it i will go with wider ribbon and small cream colour ribbons. Thank you very much. God bless you.

Margaret393 Posted 21 Mar 2013 , 6:13pm
post #28 of 32

PS

Its me again! I had a closer look at your SAMPLE cake ( enlarged the picture) I could be wrong but the black ribbon may be made with FONDANT STRIPS on buttercream. The ribbon appears to have very MATT finish. I wonder what other posters might think about this possibility? 

IF the strips are made from fondant  - roll out the fondant between 2 spacers, to ensure even thickness. Cut into strips then , preferably using a ribbon cutter for best results. I just know the Wilton brand as I happen to have this one. You will find some good tutorials on line - if you Google a demo on -" how to use a ribbon cutter"  Alternatively improvise with a ruler, if you don't a have a ribbon cutter - rather than guess work with the widths. Place the strips around cake - measuring the space required between each - to maintain a straight line.

If you don't have cake scriber or edible pen - use a cocktail stick to mark out the position for the ribbon.

Hope this helps!

Margaret393

ruwaida5 Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 6:16pm
post #29 of 32

Its me.  About the cake, yes it looks like butter cream frosting, I wondered also if it was ribbons or foundat.  But either way i will make it with foundat and real ribbons, i dont know how it will turned out, God help me.  I checked the cake scriber on line i saw one website its in london, coz its in pounds.  I like that very much instead using  pin scriber.  The one i was talking about has a wheel where you turn the cake and it makes line all around the cake, and its adjustable, you can move it up and down. If you know about this tool where they sale it here. I live in Canada. Please inform me.  Thank you again for your help.

Margaret393 Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 9:44pm
post #30 of 32

Hi ruwaida

Would this cake marker by Wilton be the type of  tool that you have been looking for? It has an adjustable guide - to mark straight lines around the cake. You can buy it online from  www.wilton.com The price is €5.99 plus shipping costs and the good news is that Wilton ship to Canada. Hope this helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%