Question For Virginia Cakers

Decorating By 2SchnauzerLady Updated 16 Jul 2009 , 1:05am by 2SchnauzerLady

2SchnauzerLady Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 6:36pm
post #1 of 4

I keep seeing forums about legalities, etc, I'm posting in general because I don't have a business. I am trying to decorate cakes - taking orders, etc to raise money for my charity. After the cost of supplies, all proceeds will go to my charity. My time is donated. Do you think I can do this legally (one or two cakes a week) without getting a license? I've done a few and kept receipts for my supplies. TIA

3 replies
cakesdivine Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 6:53pm
post #2 of 4

You have to check with your local HD. I know here in TX any food product donated or sold to the general public CANNOT be produced in a home kitchen PERIOD. You have to personally know the individual as a friend or family member to sell or give any food item you made from your home kitchen. Also, charities require their own licensing/permits too. To be a charity your organization must have 501 (c)(3) status which bare minimum costs $1500 to establish.

jamiekwebb Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 7:06pm
post #3 of 4

Yes, as long as they aren't temperature sensitive and aren't picked up at your house. You should be fine too since you are donating the profits to chrity.

2SchnauzerLady Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 1:05am
post #4 of 4

Thanks Jamiekwebb, the few I've done I have delivered. Cakesdivine, my charity is Leukemia Lymphoma Society, so we have the appropriate tax status - we raise funds to do endurance events across the country, and a minimum of 75% of what we raise goes directly to patient care services and research, so we have specific amounts we raise for each event and have to commit to that amount.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%