Would This Look Right

Decorating By kokopuff Updated 17 Jul 2009 , 9:30pm by superstar

kokopuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kokopuff Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 5:52pm
post #1 of 22

Ok,so I have had this lady ask me to make her a wedding cake.She couldn't make up her mind as to what she really wanted.She want's maybe hibiscus flowers or roses or both together.She does know that she want's it to be 3 tiers with the flowers cascading down the side.She want's their initials on the middle tier and she want's scrolls all over the whole thing if it will look right,in burgandy and ivory,I tried to talk her into doing white scrolls but no luck just colored.I cannot picture this cake in my head without it being gaudy with way to much going on.Will roses and the hibiscus flowers look right together$ sorry my question mark doesn't work and I keep forgetting to get a new one,chasing a 3 year old around the store makes me forget a lot of things,back to cake....If any one has done one similar send me a pic.please.Thanks for your help! icon_biggrin.gif

21 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 6:07pm
post #2 of 22

It sounds like she wants the best of every wedding cake she's ever seen icon_biggrin.gif It does sound like a busy cake. It might look all right with ivory roses and burgandy filler flowers. What color would the hibiscus be?

Oh hey, for your question mark, have you tried pulling the key off the keyboard and seeing if there's a crumb or something underneath? They just press back on, except for the space bar which has a little metal thingy. You could also use a hose attachment on your vacuum cleaner to vacuum your keyboard...sometimes that will do the trick.

cheesecakes-galore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheesecakes-galore Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 6:15pm
post #3 of 22

I would make up a drawing, or try working with a photoshop type editing to create what she is asking for. It may turn out very nice, or it may talk her out of it.

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 6:16pm
post #4 of 22

What about the ivory roses with just a couple of hbiscus throw in for good measure (and color) and then do a burgundy ribbon around each tier with small elegant filigree-type scrollwork just above the ribbon all the way around the tier. Does that makes sense? I know what I'm picturing in my head, just not very good at typing in words.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 6:17pm
post #5 of 22

I think if the flowers match the burgandy or ivory scrolls, it could look nice. Very busy, but nice. Maybe you could work on doing a monogram on top instead of on the front of the cake, so it does not interrupt the cascade.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 6:18pm
post #6 of 22

Or pop the } key off (who ever uses that?) and put it where the ? key goes with a little piece of paper taped over it that you can write a ?/ on.

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 6:25pm
post #7 of 22

Hold down the ALT key and type 63. Let go of ALT key and you have your ?.

Tell the bride to calm down and rethink the cake. I personally don't think hisbiscus' and roses look good together, but some others might.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 6:40pm
post #8 of 22

I consider them both primary or 'star' flowers, as opposed to secondary or 'supporting' flowers. I think either would look funny not being the featured, main flower. But I'm a firm believer that anything can work if you work out the right way to do it. Just be thankful she didn't want bird of paradise in there too!

While we're going off topic with keyboard tips...hold down 'alt' type 0176, then release 'alt' and you'll get a degree sign °. Which I find very handy for oven temps in recipes...350°...

kokopuff Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 6:51pm
post #9 of 22

aligotmat,that is a good idea but she is pretty set on the initials being in the center.This lady definetly wants things different.Her layers will be chocolate and yellow.She seems nice but I am a little leery of this lady.She tells me that she already had her cake ordered through someone else and they called and canceled on her claiming to have taken to many orders.I think they just didn't want their name associated with a gaudy cake.I felt sorry for her and agreed to do it.She brought her friend with her and they both seemed like they knew about cake decorating,makes me wonder what they were up to,anyway the friend was the one insisting she get roses that's why she said put both.I have given the cake a little more thought and I think I will make the hibiscus flowers in ivory and make rosebuds in burgandy instead of a whole rose and make the scrolls in ivory ,so they won't be as bold, and her initials in burgandy.Also I thought about making the stamens for the hibiscus in the burgandy color.Does this sound better$ ps thanks for the computer advice i will give it a try. icon_biggrin.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 7:07pm
post #11 of 22

As usual, Edna, your cakes are simply gorgeous. I'm sure the OP will appreciate your help. thumbs_up.gif

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 7:10pm
post #12 of 22

why not try ivory hibiscus with more gold than yellow colored centers and burgundy roses.... Just a thought.

kokopuff Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 7:14pm
post #13 of 22

Thanks edna,I was just thinking of looking at your website for inspiration!Thanks for all the tutorials on gumpaste flowers,I have been watching them these last few weeks and have learned a lot from you.Keep up the good work! icon_biggrin.gif

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 7:15pm
post #14 of 22
Quote:

But that's not fair Enda, you could make poison ivy and dandelions look good on a cake.

tonedna Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 7:24pm
post #15 of 22

Thanks mbt955!

lol tita..You are too much!..last time I worked with poison ivy made me sick..haha

Thanks kokopuff. I am looking for another cake I did with burgundy swirls..So you can see how they look. I think it can be achieved..But I would cascade the flowers on the front if she wants a monogram. I would either suggest the monogram on top of the cake or maybe a tag at the bottom.

tonedna Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 7:33pm
post #16 of 22

Ok this one I did for another indu bride...Additional to the scrolls she wanted fresh flowers that where added at the venue..
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-gallery_display_1415546.html

And this is just simply front scrolls..
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1389262

God..is ridicoulous the amount of cakes photos I have!... icon_redface.gif
Edna icon_smile.gif

mw902 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mw902 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 7:38pm
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tita9499

Hold down the ALT key and type 63. Let go of ALT key and you have your ?.

tita, now how in the world did you figure that out????????? LOL! ! ! !

I think the if you pick one of the flowers as the main focus, and add the other as an accent it would be fine. Hope you can figure it out and everything turns out beautiful!

kokopuff Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 8:34pm
post #18 of 22

thanks again ladies!I think I will do a practice cake for this one.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 8:53pm
post #19 of 22

° oh how cool is that!!!!! I am easily amused!

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 11:28pm
post #20 of 22

The ivory hibiscus with the burgundy stamens are beautiful, there are a lot of them here. I think you could make it work if you don't have more than one or two hibiscus & lose the scrolls.

kokopuff Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 4:29pm
post #21 of 22

nope,can't loose the scrolls either but I'm going to do only a few and do them in the ivory so they won't be as bold hopefully.thanks!

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 9:30pm
post #22 of 22

Ivory scrolls should be fine & I am sure it will look lovely in the end.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%