Purple Turning Blue

Decorating By Chef_Rinny Updated 22 Oct 2009 , 3:18pm by Tracye

Chef_Rinny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Rinny Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 5:51pm
post #1 of 12

Any tips or advice on how to stop purple icing from turning blue?

11 replies
tonicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonicake Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 5:59pm
post #2 of 12

I'm not sure how to actually stop it. Are you talking about sun fading?

I made a purple castle last week and used lavender. It looked blue, so I added some electric pink and it came out the purple (lavender) I was looking for. It held its color.

Is that what you are looking for? Maybe? Surely someone else will come along with what you need if this isn't it.

sweetlayers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlayers Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 6:05pm
post #3 of 12

Use a smidgen of red. That will keep it purple. I was given that secret a few months ago from this site and it really works. As a matter of fact, I just did it this morning.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 6:08pm
post #4 of 12

Red fades in light...not just direct sunlight, but any light at all. My experience is that it only takes a few days for it to fade. Since purple is made of red & blue, when the red fades, you are left with blue.

They sell fade-proof red as well as fade-proof purple.

I made the fondant pearl necklace for my purple hat box cake about a week ahead using wilton gel colors. I noticed it turning bluer each day. I discovered THIS PRODUCT and rush ordered it to use for the fondant covering the rest of the cake. You can see the marked difference between the pearls and the rest of the cake.

Chef_Rinny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Rinny Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 6:09pm
post #5 of 12

Thank you so much! A few months ago I did a cake with pastel roses, and within an hour all my purple roses had turned blue.... luckily no one knew the were supposed to be purple so all was well. But now I have a cake that needs to be completely iced and decorated in purple (her fav color) so having it turn blue would be a bit of a disaster! icon_wink.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 6:20am
post #6 of 12

There is this one gel color that doesn't fade. I hope somone lets you know.

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 1:04am
post #7 of 12

Ok, well is there anyway once all my fondant loops are done made....and really too late to make anymore, to get the purple back or stop the blue in it's tracks?

Eeerrrr....this is so not my week.
Thanks

Tracye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracye Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 1:27am
post #8 of 12

I would dry-brush purple dust on them (Hobby Lobby sells a Wilton one with some sparkle in it) or paint on a purple color wash.

HTH

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 1:33am
post #9 of 12

I have to stores near me...what is a color wash?

Thanks

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 1:39am
post #10 of 12

It is said that using Milk in the icing will help with the fading. You also want to keep it away from sunlight and florescent lights.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 2:26am
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

It is said that using Milk in the icing will help with the fading. You also want to keep it away from sunlight and florescent lights.

This may be why I haven't had a fading problem in years since I use milk in my icing. But yeah, when they removed the #2 Red Food Dye off of the market in the '70's, we've lived with the red-won't-hold coloring issue. There was not a comparable substitute to replace #2.

Tracye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracye Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 3:18pm
post #12 of 12

Mix a little purple color with some clear alcohol and paint it on. Try it on a scrap piece first, just in case you're not crazy about it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%