How Do You Get The Icing Not To Stick?

Decorating By Clovers Updated 15 Jul 2009 , 10:09pm by leah_s

Clovers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Clovers Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 5:36pm
post #1 of 10

I'm curious how stacked cakes get removed and cut without lifting the buttercream off of them with the cake board?

I made my first fondant covered cake and the second tier cake off with a perfect circle of fondant and all of the buttercream with it (I didn't remove it, someone else did). I think I could have avoided this by making an extra circle of fondant the size of my cakeboard and placing that between the tiers and then peeling it off the bottom cake... but what do you do for just buttercream stacked cakes???

I want to make one this weekend but I'm afraid the whole bottom layer will be 'naked' once I take it apart to serve it...

9 replies
SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 5:59pm
post #2 of 10

I've seen several methods. Here are two:
(1) Cut a circle of parchment the exact size of the top tier, place it under that tier on top of the buttercream when stacking.
(2) Sprinkle shaved white chocolate (or finely chopped candymelts in whatever color matches your icing) on the bottom tier before placing the next tier on top.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 7:45pm
post #3 of 10

You need to make sure your dowels (or whatever support system you use) are cut long enough so the top tier barely touches the bottom tier.

CanadianCakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 7:50pm
post #4 of 10

I have heard, but have yet to try...I keep forgetting! :| Is to dust with cornstarch or icing sugar...

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 7:55pm
post #5 of 10

I don't dwell on it.. I have seen that no matter what the icing will get mess up. Wax paper works the best, Sugar dissolves, high dowels can make your cake unstable. Some people try coconut or chocolate but if the cake doesnt have does flavors I dont really like to add them.
I say.. when you unstack the cake. just take a spatula and fix it.. anyways it will be cut..
Edna icon_smile.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 7:57pm
post #6 of 10

I don't dwell on it.. I have seen that no matter what the icing will get mess up. Wax paper works the best, Sugar dissolves, high dowels can make your cake unstable. Some people try coconut or chocolate but if the cake doesnt have does flavors I dont really like to add them.
I say.. when you unstack the cake. just take a spatula and fix it.. anyways it will be cut..
Edna icon_smile.gif

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 8:03pm
post #7 of 10

What confuses me is seeing people like Cake Girls use melted white chocolate to put tiers together... so obviously they don't dwell on it either. Until this question started coming up on CC, I had never heard of putting anything between tiers to keep frosting from being lifted. I was taught in the early eighties, and back then we stuck tiers together with RI!

Win Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 8:06pm
post #8 of 10

What confuses me is seeing people like Cake Girls use melted white chocolate to put tiers together... so obviously they don't dwell on it either. Until this question started coming up on CC, I had never heard of putting anything between tiers to keep frosting from being lifted. I was taught in the early eighties, and back then we stuck tiers together with RI!

Win Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 8:07pm
post #9 of 10

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 10:09pm
post #10 of 10

Don't worry about it. Seriously. It's not an issue.
Spatula it back on and cut away. Or not.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%