Decorating The Cake To Look Like A Brick Building?

Decorating By NomaFB Updated 17 Jul 2009 , 8:50pm by NomaFB

NomaFB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NomaFB Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 4:46pm
post #1 of 7

Good Afternoon All,

I am making a to-scale replica of a Library for their Open House. They have built a new building. The building is red brick with off-white mortar. I know I can get the brick impressions for the brick - however how do I get the mortar to be off-white and the bricks to be red? I do prefer to work with buttercream - I'm not very familiar with fondant for covering a cake. Any & all suggestions would be great. I also would love to "jazz" up the outside maybe. Any suggestions for that as well.

Thanks so much!

Cakes by Noma

6 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 5:05pm
post #2 of 7

Hi Norma,can't you colour the buttercream with the brick colour and then ice the cake. Let it crust and do the brick imperssion. For the mortar, can't you use an Ivory colour paste (a very tiny bit) to colour the buttercream if its white? If you are making the buttercream with butter, it will be an off-white won't it?

NomaFB Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 5:53pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you Bashini,

So should I ice the cake in the red buttercream, then impress the brick mold, after icing has crusted. Then go back with an off-white icing and fill in the "mortar" with a number 1 or 0 tip?

Thank you so much for your assistance.

Noma

staceytisdale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceytisdale Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 6:06pm
post #4 of 7

On ace of cakes they had the off white fondant, then used the brick impression mat to make the brick pattern. Then with a paper towel or cloth they rubbed on the red food colouring very lightly and the bricks came out red while the mortar stayed white. Looked very real. They did one wall at a time and put it on a piece of cardboard to get each wall up.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 6:35pm
post #5 of 7

Hi Noma, I think that's exactly how you have to do it. Let us know how you got on? icon_smile.gif Good Luck! thumbs_up.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 11:25pm
post #6 of 7

You can also pipe it with royal icing.

NomaFB Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 8:50pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you all! I appreciate all suggestions. I'm not experienced with fondant - but I can handle doing wall panels.

Thanks,
Noma

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%