Question About Hi Ratio Shortening & Sugarshack Buttercr

Decorating By jpmama Updated 16 Jul 2009 , 2:37am by sugarshack

jpmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jpmama Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 2:14pm
post #1 of 4

I recently bought some high ratio shortening at my local cake decorating store in hopes of making Sugarshack's buttercream. The brand is Quickblend, which I have never heard of, and a recipe was included for buttercream that calls for 3/4 cup quickblend to 2 lbs. powdered sugar. Now this is much less shortening that Sugarshack's 1 cup hi ratio: 1 lb sugar. So I'm wondering if all hi ratios are basically the same, or if I should use less this Quickblend than Sugarshack calls for?

3 replies
Lee15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lee15 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 6:01pm
post #2 of 4

I am not really certain about the answer to this. But, like using regular shortening, you can find a varying amount in different recipes, so I think the same thing goes for Hi-ratio. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 6:07pm
post #3 of 4

You can try asking Sugarshack directly why her recipe has almost equal amounts of sugar and shortening. I'd be curious as to her answer because hi ratio is much more absorbant (maybe that's the reason). By the way, I only make her icing since all my customers love it.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:37am
post #4 of 4

Supposedly you can use less hi ratio than regualr, but when i tried I did not like the results, so i stick with 1:1. you can try it though!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%