How 2 Make Cake That's Sturdy/shapeable/able 2 Cut W/knife?

Decorating By cutiepiebaker Updated 15 Jul 2009 , 2:23pm by CanadianCakin

cutiepiebaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiepiebaker Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 1:31pm
post #1 of 5

Hi there! I have been asked to do a 3D tractor cake, and I am wondering what kind of cake they use on Cake Boss, Ace of Cakes, etc. that is able to be cut and shaped more easily with a serrated knife? My cakes are too soft and crumbly... I have heard pound cake, but that's still too soft (the recipe I have anyway)...

I heard them say on a show once that they had cream cheese in the pound cake? Is that true? Should I find a recipe with that in it???

I am a rookie and have no idea what to do! I would love any help!! =) Thanks so much!!

4 replies
Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 1:46pm
post #2 of 5

I use WASC, it is very sturdy and I have used it for 3d. Also, refrigerating the cake helps it be more solid, and freezing makes it VERY easy to work with!

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 1:52pm
post #3 of 5

I will be making a Pirate Ship Cake and a Treasure Chest cake for this weekend and I was thinking about using the WASC Recipe but I do know that Paula Dean has a wonderful Pound Cake Recipe with Cream cheese as one of the ingredients and it is sturdy also

Molly

cutiepiebaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiepiebaker Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 2:01pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you so much for your help! I will definitely try to pop it in the fridge... do I cover it in seran to do that?
Also... don't laugh at me... what's WASC?? I told you I am a rookie.... icon_redface.gif haha.

CanadianCakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 2:23pm
post #5 of 5

Wasc is White Almond Sour Cream cake it's a doctored cake mix recipe...you can find it in the recipe section here and it is wonderful!
I have used wasc for all my 3d shaped cakes and haven't had a problem

and yes cover your cakes with seran!

HTH!!
~Ashley

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%