How Would Your Work Plan Look Like???

Decorating By ZlatkaT Updated 17 Jul 2009 , 1:43am by cylstrial

ZlatkaT Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 1:27pm
post #1 of 6

I still cannot decided how soon should I start decorating this cake. So, I would like to ask you how would your work plan look like. The fillings are not sleeve fillings, but homemade. And, I cannot freeze my crumb coated cakes. Just using fridge. I am worried to start on Friday, because of the fillings and strawberries. An if I start Saturday morning crumb coating, I am worried, that the cake won't set up at the fridge long enough for final coat.
Cake is due Sunday 4 pm.
3 tier - all Crusting cream cheese
14" - WASC + Bavarian creme
10" - chocolate WASC + cut out strawberries
6" RV + cream cheese

Thank you, your opinion matters to me.

5 replies
ZlatkaT Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 11:15pm
post #2 of 6

OH well, I guess I had to decided this by myself. I know I did a lot of posting lately about this project, but I am just scared.

jonahsmom Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 11:31pm
post #3 of 6

Here's what I posted on another question similar to this:

"Keeping in mind that I'm pretty new to this, the wedding cake I just did (16, 12, Cool had a schedule like this:

Baked Sunday (1 wk ahead), wrapped VERY well and put in freezer. Wednesday night pulled them out of the freezer and filled and crumbcoated FROZEN...they were MUCH easier to handle than would've been otherwise. Let them set out overnight and did final icing, smoothing Thursday. I used an impression mat for the scrolls and to get spacing for dots - I did that Thursday after things and crusted over. Then on Friday I stacked and did the red details. Cake due today (Saturday).

The one I did for my grandparents (50th anniversary cake in my pics) I did the crumbcoat, final coat and accents all in one day and STRESSED MYSELF OUT!!! Spreading out the timeline helped so I didn't have to stay up until 4 am to get it done and I didn't want to kill my husband (as much) every time he tried to talk to me this time!!!!

cylstrial Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 11:32pm
post #4 of 6

I would make the simple syrup on Thursday (if you make one). Normally, I would tell you to make the frosting as well. But with a cream cheese frosting, I think you'll have to make that on the same day probably.

Then I would bake the cakes on Friday. And then fill them and stop the edges up. Place in a food safe bag and then let them sit overnight. Saturday I would crumbcoat. And do the frosting.

So you could take longer to do this timeline since you have most of Sunday. Or you could shorten it.

Hope this helps.

ZlatkaT Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 12:47am
post #5 of 6

Thank you for your advices. I wish to start on Friday, it will give me some time to play with the cake, and the final icing coat will be easier to work with when the crumb coat is set overnight, but because of the fillings, I feel guilty to give them 3 day old cake. I think if the cake will be refrigerated when I am not working on it, the filling (Bavarian creme and strawberries) should be OK.

cylstrial Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 1:43am
post #6 of 6

I don't think you should feel guilty about giving them a 3 day old cake. A lot of people bake on Wednesday or Thursday and then serve it on Saturday. So the usual timeline is 3-4 days.

I think your timeline sounds good!

Quote by @%username% on %date%