Which Shape Cake Bakes Most Evenly?

Decorating By Mom2Rebecca Updated 15 Jul 2009 , 11:26pm by UpAt2am

Mom2Rebecca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom2Rebecca Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 1:14pm
post #1 of 5

I am a newbie and have never made a cake besides a shaped pan or 13X9. I am off to the store today to find a new pan to experiment with. Is a square or round pan easiest to get the cake to bake evenly?
Thanks

4 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 1:28pm
post #2 of 5

For me, I think a square pan bakes more evenly. But honestly, sometimes it depends on your recipe. If your recipe has shortening in it, it bakes more level in any pan.

I also use bake even strips to have the cake bake more evenly. And depending on the size of the pan, I might use a flower nail in the center (to help the center cook as fast as the outer edges, so that the edges aren't done and the middle still goopy).

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 2:07pm
post #3 of 5

I would say round cakes, hands down.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 11:03pm
post #4 of 5

Round--I believe--because there are no corners.

I sort of envision the heat being able to circulate without accumulating in a corner.

Don't know if that's accurate, but I feel that's how it works for me when I bake.

Rae

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 11:26pm
post #5 of 5

i feel like any shaped pan bakes evenly as long as i have my bake even strips on them. they are the key to perfect cakes every time for me! you don't waste any cake b/c you don't have to level anymore (except on a rare occasion). you can buy them at michael's and worth every penny!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%