What's Going On?

Lounge By G_Cakes Updated 18 Jul 2009 , 4:00am by Idreamofcakes

G_Cakes Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 6:14am
post #1 of 12

Back in February '09 while doing a google search I found a great website that was loaded with pictures, tips and recipes on how to create beautiful cakes and desserts.

That web site was Cake Central and I have been hooked ever since!

I finally found a place where I could ask any question, no matter how silly or big and get a warm helpful yet candid response without feeling like I was a complete dufuss.

I felt like I had found a family and home regarding my baking obsession. thumbs_up.gif

My DH says I spend so much time on this site that it should be called "Crack" Cake Central LOL.icon_lol.gif

Lately though I have noticed a turn in attitudes and this troubles me, comments are quick and harsh, words and statements are taken out of context. icon_eek.gif

I used to love looking in the forums, wondering what new wonderful tip or trick am I gonna learn today? But now I dread it because the negativity is just to much... thumbsdown.gif

I am not sure if the persons who are running this site are aware of some of the posts running here that have gotten out of hand, maybe they are and are just respecting freedom of speech.tapedshut.gif

But either way it's not as friendly a place as I recall it to be, and I am hoping that it's just a passing phase like the full moon.icon_sad.gif

After all we all share the same passion that brought each of us here...together, right?icon_rolleyes.gif

For the love of C A K E people, let's just try to be a little nicer icon_smile.gif

Peace, out and Love!

11 replies
diane706 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 6:26am
post #2 of 12

candoo Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 6:45am
post #3 of 12

MissLizzy- Your post sounds exactly like what I have been thinking (even the time you joined and what your hubby says almost exactly fits me, lol) for the past couple of weeks. I've not posted anything on the contrversial topics, but have read many that I was appalled at! Even though I agree with you completely, I'm almost afraid to post, b/c of all the crap lately... I HATE confrontations- even in cyperspace!

Mme_K Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 7:53am
post #4 of 12

Atmosphere seems to have changed around here lately. I came across this thread:

The author has actually written a poem! It is really well done and very interesting.

G_Cakes Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 8:33pm
post #5 of 12

Wow what a great poem thanks for posting that link to it Mme_k.

I hope everyone gets a chance to read it and maybe practice it here on CC and in our own personal lives.

Big hugs out to everyone (((((HUG)))))

__Jamie__ Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 10:06pm
post #6 of 12

Looks like business as usual to me. Currently, there are 985 users browsing the forums. 985 different opinions. 985 different backgrounds. 985 different ways of interpreting advice; well meaning or not. Takes one person to take something literally and blow something out of proportion. 984 other possibilities to either attack or defend.

Takes all kinds.

When someone truly shows through consistently bad attitudes, advice, foul language, etc., etc......I think we all have the responsibility to "show them the door".

Considering some of the "free speech" I've seen on other sites, this place is pretty tame.

-Tubbs Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 10:43pm
post #7 of 12

Ah, stuff happens here. If you don't like the direction a thread is taking, you can back away slowly, or just click "Stop watching.."

Some are here for drama, some for lively debate, some just like things peaceful and quiet and for everyone to agree and love each other. I'm afraid there are too many different characters on here for the latter to happen!

I have to say that, personally, nothing annoys me more on a contentious thread, than when some well-meaning soul begs everyone to make friends and get along. Just move on and leave them to it... Find a thread with a better atmosphere. thumbs_up.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 10:50pm
post #8 of 12

I have to agree with you Tubbs, and that doesn't make me a kitten hating puss either! icon_smile.gif

ziggytarheel Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 11:47pm
post #9 of 12

I've been here for a while, and every few weeks, someone posts something like this. There are never many weeks where someone doesn't say something like this that I notice and I just follow a handful of threads a week. There are always a lot of threads to look at. Sometimes we are drawn to threads with controversy. Sometimes we notice the negativity, sometimes we just aren't a part of those threads.

In all honesty, in the past couple of weeks, I've noticed threads turning bad because people are being overly sensitive, maybe because they are assuming bad motives. A couple of times lately, I've re-read a thread several times and just scratch my head as to why someone thought they were being attacked.

Although I've not looked at even a fifth of all of the active threads here, I can just about promise you that most of them aren't what you would call negative. So, just close the ones you don't like and go to the ones you do. Kind of like in high school...not everyone is going to be the kind of person you want to stay in a conversation with.

That's what I've learned here, anyway.

Deb_ Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 12:12am
post #10 of 12

With 219,689 users to date on this site and probably safe to say that 90% of them are female, I'd have to say it's amazing that we all get along as well as we do with all the PMS cycles. icon_lol.gif

It's what happens when you get such a large group of us together....we're passionate.

7yyrt Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 4:16am
post #11 of 12

It's not just here, it's happening all over the web.

Times are tense, people blow up.
Hugs for all!

Idreamofcakes Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 4:00am
post #12 of 12

I think after we have been around here awhile we start to see who is purposely trying to cause problems and who those who are not.

Some of us are very sarcastic (raising hand here!!) Many times people take that wrong, it's hard to tell when you can't see the person.

The majority are here for fun, info, a place to vent, cry, laugh, PMS, or whatever we need to do. Nope we won't all get along, but we can TRY (LOL) to be civilized!

You"ll see trends of "negative" threads, but they come and go...just like PMS icon_razz.gif

7yyrt I think has a point, times are tough all over and soemtimes they manifest in the wrong way at the wrong time.

As others have said, ignore the posts/threads you don't like....you'll find 100 others that you will like! thumbs_up.gif

I've been hear for a few years and don't do a whole lot of posting, but a lot of reading/lurking. I don't like controversy...but must admit sometimes I crack up laughing at the controversial threads

I can't even get my 3 kids to get along, there is no way I could expect all of us to get along all the time!!

Then there are those you can always count on for a laugh .....Jamie....seems to always make me chuckle!! Among many many many others!

Don't let the boogers get to you! Just blow your nose and toss the tissue out. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%