Need Help With Cake Dummies

Decorating By letem_eat_cakes Updated 18 Jul 2009 , 5:05am by letem_eat_cakes

letem_eat_cakes Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 6:08am
post #1 of 6

this may be a dumb question, but...

i am wanting to do a cake dummie for a demo that i am planning on doing to let folks know that i am the new WMI at the HL in town. there hasn't been classes there in several years.

anyway to the question...
when you are covering a styrofoam cake dummie with fondant, what do you use to make it stick to the dummie? wouldn't icing (wilton class bc with all shortening, or any icing) go bad after it has sat in a display for a while? icon_sad.gif

thanks in advance for any help or ideas! icon_smile.gif

5 replies
indydebi Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 11:59am
post #2 of 6

Icing does not go bad when sitting on a dummy. I do my dummies with just BC all the time. The BC turns concrete hard soon after being applied. (Kids love it when I tell them, SUre! you can touch them!) I've put fondant on dummies with BC under it and some that I've just spritzed with water to get it to adhere.

2508s42 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 1:53pm
post #3 of 6

save the extra ingredients and mix powdered sugar with shortening. Use it like regular icing. It's cheaper, and no one is going to eat it anyway.

DianeLM Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 1:59pm
post #4 of 6

Just spritz it with some water to make the fondant stick. Or, you can brush on piping gel thinned with water.

Be sure to soften the top edge of your dummy to prevent the fondant from tearing. My favorite method is sanding with a piece of hard, sparkly styrofoam, like the kind they make styro balls out of. It's a messy job, so do it outside. icon_smile.gif

dsilvest Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 2:11pm
post #5 of 6

If there are any dents, holes, damage to the styrofoam just fill will some royal icing before covering with fondant. You don't have to wait for it to dry.

When you want to remove the fondant just soak it in hot soapy water. To speed things along you can also put the fondant covered styrofoam into the dishwasher.

The styrofoam can be used over and over again.

letem_eat_cakes Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 5:05am
post #6 of 6

thanks so much everyone.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%