Customer Said "good Cake But Dry"...what To Do??

Decorating By Normita Updated 16 Jul 2009 , 8:59am by Rylan

Normita Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 3:55am
post #1 of 21

Made a 2-tier, both WASC with bavarian creme and banana creme filling, then covered in fondant. She loved the design, and had no complaints when I dropped it off. The customer works with my sis-law and she later told her that it was good but a bit dry. This has been bugging me for the past 2 weeks. No one has ever said that my cakes are dry...the only solution I can come up with is that people are not used to the fondant taste, as this had a very light crumbcoat of BC underneath, so it is obviously not as creamy as a BC cake. I dont know if I should call her and give her a small discount or maybe offer her a really good price for a future cake, or simply leave it alone. Again, this has been bugging me I dont know why she would say it was dry. I charged her $95 for a 8 and a 6 inch with a large cupcake as the topper...did I charge her too much?? Attached is a pix of the cake
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1414743

20 replies
mandymomof3 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 4:04am
post #2 of 21

I don't think that's too much to charge. The cake is beautiful and you obviously spent a lot of time on it. I wouldn't worry about it too much, but you could always send her a "customer appreciation" coupon for a future purchase if you felt bad still.

SugarFrosted Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 4:14am
post #3 of 21

That is an adorable cake!

If you've made WASC previously, you know it is not a "dry" cake, so unless the client calls YOU to tell you it was dry, don't worry about it. Some people will always complain about something, to make themselves feel superior. Who knows why.. :shrug:

But you may have a point about the fondant. My clients don't want it and have no interest in trying it. They like my buttercream. Maybe your client is a buttercream person.

LaBellaFlor Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 4:16am
post #4 of 21

That cake is so dang cute and its more then a fair price!

Normita Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 4:21am
post #5 of 21

Thanks guys. I guess I just take it all too serious when someone finds something that they do not like about the cake. I am almost positive it is all about the fondant....lets be honest...It's chewy. I just didn't want to lose her future business. But she loved the design icon_smile.gif

bakermommy4 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 4:25am
post #6 of 21

The cake LOOKS great and I've make WASC cake all of the time and they aren't dry at all. But you know what...it's kinda like fashion when you're dealing with the public and taste...my sister thinks fishnet goes with everything...I think it looks awful with anything.

Two people could bite into the exact same slice of cake and one will say too sweet and one will say not sweet enough...it's just that people's tastebuds and palettes are different ya know. It probably was moist...but what is moist to that particular client...the world may never know??? LOL

Mensch Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 4:53am
post #7 of 21

That is such a cute cake.

The two most subjective things in the world seem to be color and taste (any kind of taste... from flavor to clothes sense). My idea of sage green is not the same as yours. My idea of a moist/dry cake is not the same as yours.

You should have asked to taste the cake to judge for yourself.

BTW, I would have charged about $200 for that cake, so I don't think $95 is at all overpriced.

miss-tiff Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 5:06am
post #8 of 21

I really liked that cake! Very cute! If she didn't complain to you about it, then it must not have been that bad. I take things too personally, too, so I know what you mean about it bugging you.

Maybe next time she orders you could suggest to her a creamy filling, a sugar syrup added to the cake, or whatever else you like to do that makes a cake moist.

Ruth0209 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 5:09am
post #9 of 21

That's a very cute cake. I can't believe you only had one comment. It must've gone by the front page fast.

I agree with other posts that I'd leave it alone. If she orders again, you might want to talk to her then about it and ask her if she wants another flavor, how it seemed dry, etc., so you're sure to give her what she expects the next time around.

sleepy33 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 6:20am
post #10 of 21

Ok, I'm admitedly a newbie, so forgive my ignorance, but when you're covering a cake in fondant, wouldn't you normally put more than just a crumbcoat layer of BC under it? I've never seen it done any other way. The cake looks adorable, don't get me wrong. Just looking for some education here for my own benefit. icon_smile.gif

Normita Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:49am
post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy33

Ok, I'm admitedly a newbie, so forgive my ignorance, but when you're covering a cake in fondant, wouldn't you normally put more than just a crumbcoat layer of BC under it? I've never seen it done any other way. The cake looks adorable, don't get me wrong. Just looking for some education here for my own benefit. icon_smile.gif

By what I understand you only need a thin crumbcoat of BC under your fondant or else you risk of having the BC squish down the sides when you are smoothing it out. Also, what seems to work great is to apply a coat of ganache under your fondant instead of BC. It works really well and firms up good. It is great way to prevent bulging . I have used ganche myself and it works well.

sleepy33 Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 3:37am
post #12 of 21

Oh, ok. Well, that does make sense. I've only just started to dabble with fondant; I covered a little practice tier in MMF the other day. I did a crumb coat of BC, let it set up, then did a regular-thickness coat of BC and let that crust, smoothed w/ Viva, sit overnight and then covered it with the MMF. It worked out perfectly, and I really didn't have to do much smoothing. I ran over it lightly with the smoother, but certainly nothing that disrupted the BC underneath. Then later, when I cut and ate it, the BC underneath was still in place where I left it, and you could either peel off the fondant 'rind', or eat it along w/ the BC. Best of both worlds! My family all claims to hate fondant, but I don't mind the taste of MMF at all, and now that I've seen how I can do a regular layer of BC and put MMF on top, I'm going to start doing some MMF cakes for family gatherings; they can just peel it off if they don't want to eat it! icon_smile.gif I'll pay attention to whether or not the BC stays put under the fondant and be prepared that it might migrate if I am doing much more than draping the fondant over it. I will say that all the demos and shows on TV I've seen of decorating with fondant, the chefs all used a full coat of BC under fondant.

__Jamie__ Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 3:49am
post #13 of 21

Plus, if put the fondant a well chilled cake, you shouldn't have any squishing at all whatsoever.

UpAt2am Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 4:11am
post #14 of 21

Normita...
The cake is very cute and I would have charged at least $150 for it so I don't think you overpriced at all. It probably just a fondant issue. I've started giving my customers a little baggie of buttercream with their fondant cakes so if they would like to peel the fondant off, they can put some additional buttercream on it. You could always send the customer a coupon for 10% off her next cake as a "customer appreciation" promotion.

Ruth0209 Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 4:12am
post #15 of 21

Sleepy, I do it the way you described. I just like more than a thin crumb coat because so many people do peel off the fondant and then they have a bare naked cake!! Chilling and smoothing the BC first always works well for me.

makeminepink Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 4:13am
post #16 of 21

That is a very well done cake with alot of detail. I can't imagine it being dry, but even if it was I think she got a DEAL! Try not to give it another thought. It's like everyone else said, taste is so subjective!

heddahope Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 4:14am
post #17 of 21

I was wondering about the same thing (amount of buttercream needed under mmf). I have done like two cakes with fondant and I thought i was supposed to do thick layer of bc but it seems to squish around and make big rolls and bumps on the surface. Can you just do a crumbcoat then add fondant? Just to clarify, which would be better? Sorry I'm new and have only made like 6 cakes but am loving it.

__Jamie__ Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 4:20am
post #18 of 21

Put the fondant on a well chilled BC coated cake. No squishing...no matter how thick it is.

Normita Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 5:43am
post #19 of 21

I would just like to thank everyone for their nice comments on my cake icon_smile.gif It does make me feel better. As for the amount of BC under fondant....I think it varies decorator to decorator. Many use crumb coat and many use a regular layer......I think it all depends on you and what works best for you. All I can say is try various styles until you find what best works for you icon_smile.gif And it is definitely easier to work with a chilled cake

sleepy33 Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 5:46am
post #20 of 21

I have to agree w/ Jamie. Granted, with my whole whopping 1 fondant-covered cake, I don't have tons of experience. But really, once my crusting BC is set up and smoothed ( I mean, fully set up, like it's been in the fridge or has sat overnight), you would have to, like, jam your finger in the icing and pull a chunk out before it would move anywhere. I mean, if the fondant is smooth when you roll it out, and the fondant is big enough to cover the tier, you really just place it on and shape it. I don't know why you'd need to smooth it to the point that you were disrupting the BC beneath. Then again, I obviously don't know much about fondant, so perhaps there are some fondant decorating techniques that I don't know about that would be more apt to cause the BC layer to shift.

Rylan Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 8:59am
post #21 of 21

Nice cake. I love the colors, very whimsical.

If she thinks the cake is dry, maybe it is. Don't give her a discount.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%