Pricing

Business By Barb1919 Updated 15 Jul 2009 , 1:48pm by Renaejrk

Barb1919 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 2:46am
post #1 of 4

Hi Everyone. I know this question has been asked before but I am trying to start up a small cake decorating business and I am trying to figure out pricing for my cakes. I have looked over the price matrix posted but that seems very confusing. Is there a more simple way to charge? I have looked at local bakeries websites but cannot seem to figure out how they come up with their prices. If anyone could let me know, it would be much appreciated!

3 replies
makeminepink Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 4:00am
post #2 of 4

I think you just need to call around and find out what the going rate is for different types of cakes and cupcakes in your area, but ultimately.... you have to decide what you're comfortable with regardless of what others might charge. Whatever you do... don't undercharge and then kick yourself for it! I'm in the same situation myself after being out of cake making for years. I think it's important to get it straight before we start and that's what I'm trying to do. Good luck to you! Wish I could be more help.

cylstrial Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 1:31pm
post #3 of 4

I agree with Kim. But you also need to sit down with a piece of paper and a calculator or an excel spreadsheet and figure out how much it costs you to make each cake. That will help you determine how much you should charge.

Don't forget to include cake boards, electricity, water, time for washing dishes, mopping the floor, baking time, etc.

Renaejrk Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 1:48pm
post #4 of 4

A lot of people charge per serving, but to figure out what's fair for you - you need to figure up what your true expenses will really be, and how much time it will take you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%