Display Cakes...not A Lot Of Time :(

Business By rharris524 Updated 15 Jul 2009 , 3:35pm by FromScratch

rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 1:50am
post #1 of 13

My open house/grand opening party is on Sunday and while my permanent display is cupcakes, I'd like to have some cakes up as well b/c I have a feeling that once the ball gets rolling, that is where the bulk of my money will be. Unfortunately, the timing is horrible (an impossible to turn down deal fell out of the sky) and I'm basically working 3 jobs right now (temporarily) so time is at a premium. I'd like to have 3 cakes on display, I was thinking of doing a wedding-ish one, a funky birthday one, and a chocolate wrapped type one...what do you think? Am I covering my bases? What do you/would you put on display? I'm completely up for suggestions

12 replies
aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 2:01am
post #2 of 13

I think you should focus your energy one really nice display cake rather than spread yourself more thin and make 3.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 2:03am
post #3 of 13

I agree... rather than have 3 shoddy cakes do one nice one and add as you can.

rharris524 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 2:07am
post #4 of 13

That's a good idea...maybe I'll just do one and then if time allows, make more. Do you think wedding or birthday or fancy party cake?

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 2:10am
post #5 of 13

I would do wedding because that is where a lot of revenue comes from. Then if u have time then a birthday cake.

FromScratch Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 2:11am
post #6 of 13

What's your focus? If you are doing more birthdays than weddings then gear it towards that and then add wedding cakes in as you go. My focus is weddings and that is my meal ticket, so my displays are wedding cakes (I'm a home baker (legal) but I have displays out when people come for consults).

MLand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MLand Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 2:11am
post #7 of 13

I would guess wedding and one party cake.

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 2:36am
post #8 of 13

I am in the same boat, so to speak, trying to make more dummies. I can never figure out what design to use for them... I go blank when it's just for display.

How do you all choose a design for dummies? I did a one cool one last night, but then I tried to cover a squre tier in black, and realized I really DO need to finish watching Sugarshack's DVD on Fondant... The fondant tore... it was a nightmare. icon_sad.gif

I hope you post your dummies when you're done. icon_smile.gif

IsaSW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IsaSW Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 2:50pm
post #9 of 13

When I make a dummie cake, I pick a color, then look at scrapbooking magazine for inspiration, then I scketch a cake of what I would like it to look like.
I design for me, what I like, because I will easy get inspired in the design and then I will have fun making it too.

Carolina

mackeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mackeymom Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 2:59pm
post #10 of 13

I feel your pain! I am making a cake for my DD this week, and I've just decided to make two of the same cake. One real one for eating and a dummy for display. It sounds like a lot, but I have two toddlers, so I am use to doing "double duty" so to speak.

sweet-thing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet-thing Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 3:10pm
post #11 of 13

Don't have much advice about dummie cakes but wanted to say CONGRATS!! What an exciting time for you!!

rharris524 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 3:11pm
post #12 of 13

Ok, two questions...should I make small scale replicas (I have very limited display area) or are they not impressive enough? Also, if I'm making a dummy, do I still use real buttercream (well, crisco and PS) and fondant or is there a fake alternative?

FromScratch Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 3:35pm
post #13 of 13

Just use the fondant... don't bother with the buttercream. Sand the crisp edge off a little bit and smear some crisco on the dummies and cover with fondant. It's WAY easier than messing with buttercream and ultra-light stryofoam cakes. I never put BC on dummies. If you have limited space then make smaller cakes. I have some small display cakes and they are loved just as much as the bigger ones. icon_smile.gif (and my bigger ones aren't huge at all)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%