Omg!!!!! Wedding Cake For 350

Decorating By maude Updated 17 Jul 2009 , 4:22am by Rylan

maude Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 12:50am
post #1 of 16

Oh my, never thought I would ever get a request for a cake this big. My oven is just a standard size, how in the world will I be able to bake a cake big enough. Which sizes? How many tiers? How to deliver? I am going to be a nervous wreck!

15 replies
DeeDelightful Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 1:02am
post #2 of 16

It's not as bad as you think, but it will take some planning and time. Go to the Wilton website or a Wilton Yearbook and look up the pan sizes chart. Find out if they want round or square or what shaped pans and then you can find which pans will make the right number of servings. I would encourage the couple to serve all of their cake and not try to save the top tier for an anniversary. invest in two sets of whatever pan set you purchase; cake boards for each tier, dowel rods and i'm sure there is plenty of info on CC about how to assemble the cake.

indydebi Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 1:13am
post #3 of 16

First, I'm envious that you get to do one this big. And I don't care about the money ... I just love making big cakes! thumbs_up.gif

What's the biggest size pan you can get in your oven? Does the bride have any idea what kind of design she might want?

Satellite cakes are great ways to enhance a cake design with small cakes. A 3 or 4 tier cake to serve 200 surrounded by six 8" round cakes, perhaps on the acrylic stands in a descending size order (six 8" round cakes serve just under 150 ... almost half of the cake servings right there.)

Me, personally, I wouldn't want to do secret sheet cakes hidden in the kitchen. If I'm going to do this much work on this grand of a cake, then I want it to be one big-a$$ grand cake for everyone to see! (But I'm a big ham on stuff like this!) icon_biggrin.gif

leah_s Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 1:16am
post #4 of 16

Square on the bottom and rounds above. The Wilton site will give you the sizes. Easy, but you'll need a freezer.

OhMyGanache Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 1:27am
post #5 of 16

Congrats! Hopefully this is a paid order for you. icon_smile.gif

Just so you don't have to do ALL graduated tiers, you could also having one or two 8" tall tiers thrown in to the design as well.

Jeannem Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 1:29am
post #6 of 16

Ahhh yes, the good old days of lots of satellite cakes. I "cut my teeth" on these huge cakes, and have the cake pans to prove it. It's not so hard--just think of it as a lot of small cakes. I'm sure you'll do great--pictures please!!

JodieF Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 2:51am
post #7 of 16

I have done one that huge.....6, 9, 12, 16 rounds, 18 inch square, all iced in SMBC, decorated with 25 edible image photos and fondant lace. That baby weighed over 90 pounds! There was an 11x15 inch side cake too.

It was a gift too.....woo hoo! Lots of work but lots of love involved too.

Jodie

__Jamie__ Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 2:59am
post #8 of 16

I'm doing one for 200 this winter. i lmain cake, with 4 squares stacked, and two smaller two tier square stacks on both sides. All decorated. Can't wait!

Ruth0209 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 2:59am
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMyGanache

Congrats! Hopefully this is a paid order for you. icon_smile.gif

Just so you don't have to do ALL graduated tiers, you could also having one or two 8" tall tiers thrown in to the design as well.

I LOVE the looks of those double layers. I think they're very dramatic and chic.

maude Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 9:56pm
post #10 of 16

Well, spoke with client today and she has decided on 300 servings instead of 350. However, she balked at the price of $700 which I explained was a very good deal for her. I reccommended Wal-Mart if she thought that price was too high because I am sure she won't get it any cheaper anywhere else. She then said she would let me know. Now here's the "kicker" she wants it for Aug. 15th. Why would anyone wait to order a cake for that size wedding just weeks before the big event? Non-cakers just don't have a clue

__Jamie__ Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 10:05pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

I'm doing one for 200 this winter. i lmain cake, with 4 squares stacked, and two smaller two tier square stacks on both sides. All decorated. Can't wait!

Oh what a doof. Not 200 people....300 people! Oops!

__Jamie__ Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 10:12pm
post #12 of 16

Yes Maude, that's a deal. I couldn't possibly have offered mine at that low of a price. Stay firm. That's a huge amount of cake!

Reimagining_Confections Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 10:22pm
post #13 of 16

Stay firm maude! That is $2 a serving for 350, and if you keep the price then it is $2.33 a serving either way well under what the cost should be, before we discuss degree of design!!!!!

I would have been more in the range of $1300-1500 for a cake this size!!! Before degree of design is discussed. Stay strong!

Ruth0209 Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 10:27pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by maude

Well, spoke with client today and she has decided on 300 servings instead of 350. However, she balked at the price of $700 which I explained was a very good deal for her. I reccommended Wal-Mart if she thought that price was too high because I am sure she won't get it any cheaper anywhere else. She then said she would let me know. Now here's the "kicker" she wants it for Aug. 15th. Why would anyone wait to order a cake for that size wedding just weeks before the big event? Non-cakers just don't have a clue

I know! I had a bride call and ask for a cake for 150 just three weeks before her wedding date. I was already booked. I told her I thought she'd have a hard time finding anyone in the middle of wedding season that that kind of short notice. Wow.

indydebi Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 12:35am
post #15 of 16

Had a consultation with a bride yesterday (Wed) and the wedding is this August 1st. She just booked the wedding chapel TUESDAY! icon_surprised.gif

Rylan Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 4:22am
post #16 of 16

You can also consider using half round pans.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%