Cheap Gal Looking For Help Making My Own Lace W/pasta Roller

Decorating By drakegore Updated 16 Jul 2009 , 2:23pm by Rylan

drakegore Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 12:18am
post #1 of 8

ok, i want to make a lace cake, @$#%@^.
ok, the cost of lace molds made me wet my pants outa fear for my meager cake making budget.

i don't want to do overall lace patterning; i want to do lace strips to use as top and bottom borders.

i have read bits and pieces i found on the forum search that kinda makes me think someone out there has experience making lace using the pasta roller and real lace (of the cheap variety of course, lol).

are there any tip or important things to know before i try and see if i can get this to work?

or, does this not really work well?

7 replies
woodruffbn Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 12:52am
post #2 of 8

I don't know, but I would love to hear the answer to this. And i am laughing at you drakegore... 'the cheap variety of lace'. That sounded like something I would say (cuz I'm a maaaaaajor tight wad icon_lol.gif )

bisbqueenb Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 3:18am
post #3 of 8

Plastic place mats or table cloths with an embossed design cake great 'molds' for lace pieces. I have a large [new] table cloth that I cut into pieces and trimmed well. I roll out fondant or gumpaste... dust the plastic with a bit of cornstarch and place on top of the fondant. Use a rolling pin to 'press' the pattern into the fondant, remove the plastic and use an exacto knife to clean/trim around the outside edges. I used the longer outside edges for borders etc, and used the center 'medallion' type pieces to make round/square pieces for trim, cake tops...whatever.

BTW, the table cloth was from the Dollar store...and they also had lots of place mats, table runners doilies... all with embossed textures that would make great molds.

drakegore Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:18am
post #4 of 8

i just wanted to say thank you!
i went out today and gathered lace, a doilie, and a placemant and when i get a chance i am going to experiment like a madwoman icon_biggrin.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 3:10am
post #5 of 8

I think if you cut strips of lace, and put it on top of a sheet of fondant, and set the appropriate thickness on your pasta machine, you could make one heck of an embossed border. Dust it with cornstarch first.....sounds doable!

Rylan Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 5:49am
post #6 of 8

Also check youtube. Ron Ben Israel has a great example

drakegore Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 1:39pm
post #7 of 8

thank you rylanty! that was fabulous! i am pretty excited to try this (oh man, i think my excitement bar may be set too low, lol)!

Rylan Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 2:23pm
post #8 of 8

No problem. I've always wanted to try that method.

Quote by @%username% on %date%