SweetOccasionCakes Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 12:03am
post #1 of 15

I have my thoughts on how to do it, what are yours?[img]
Image[/img]

14 replies
JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 12:12am
post #2 of 15

I've never used fondant, but I've seen people on TV paint directly on fondant with food coloring. That's what it looks like to me. It's beautiful, by the way!

Alice1230 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alice1230 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 12:16am
post #3 of 15

looks hand painted to me. I'm getting ready to do a handpainted cake at the end of the month. Cover in fondant and if u use gel colors thin them down with alcohol or clear extract so it will evaporate quickly and leve the color behind.

staceytisdale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceytisdale Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 12:16am
post #4 of 15

print a bunch of leaves with an edible image printer if you have one?? or hand paint with food colouring.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 12:17am
post #5 of 15

What a very cool looking cake! I agree with the PP. It looks to me like it's painted directly onto the fondant. You could layer those leaves on with fondant pieces, but I think it'd be easier to paint it since it's not an intricate design.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Andy383240 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Andy383240 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 12:40am
post #7 of 15

Looks hand painted to me too. It it would take a bit of planning , but not too difficult to do. Best of luck!

SweetOccasionCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetOccasionCakes Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 12:45am
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice1230

looks hand painted to me. I'm getting ready to do a handpainted cake at the end of the month. Cover in fondant and if u use gel colors thin them down with alcohol or clear extract so it will evaporate quickly and leve the color behind.

Exactly what I had in mind! Thanks so much for everyone's input! Would love to hear how yours turns out Alice1230!

I have never painted but knew of the technique. The client wants it painted and I don't think it will be too bad. I'm going to try it BEFORE this though! LOL!

woodruffbn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodruffbn Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 12:48am
post #9 of 15

I think it looks like an edible image sheet.... Maybe? IDK.. But that would be an easy way (for me anyway bc I can't paint).

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 12:54am
post #10 of 15

I saw some edible image sheets on global sugar site that looks like that
http://www.globalsugarart.com/cat.php?cid=1005

Molly

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 1:08am
post #11 of 15

It looks hand painted to me.

wendy1273 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendy1273 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 1:11am
post #12 of 15

You have to be careful when you paint on top of the fondant like that because you see how the light colors are on top of dark colors, that usually doesn't work that well.
I thought that it was edible image but if you want to paint it practice on a piece of fondant first.

Good luck!

wendy1273 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 1:12am
post #13 of 15

You have to be careful when you paint on top of the fondant like that because you see how the light colors are on top of dark colors, that usually doesn't work that well.
I thought that it was edible image but if you want to paint it practice on a piece of fondant first.

Good luck!

wendy1273 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 1:14am
post #14 of 15

Good luck!

CIApastrychef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIApastrychef Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 1:14am
post #15 of 15

yep, looks hand painted to me. I'm sure you could probably use a leaf stamp, and stamp coloring onto the fondant, then hand paint the outline and veins.
Or you can stencil leaves onto the fondant and then paint the details.

Kristy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%