Hary Potter: Half-Blood Prince

Lounge By Doug Updated 26 Jul 2009 , 1:47am by SugarFrosted

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 9:00pm
post #1 of 21

oh to be 20 years younger and be able to go to the midnight showing with out collapsing!

----

so, with just mere hours until the midnight premier...

let the fun, games, discussion, bashing, trashing, applauding, etc. begin.

(need some kind of charm/spell to cast to get this thing going!)

20 replies
MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 9:53pm
post #2 of 21

Want company? LOL

I would love to be going icon_smile.gif

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 12:11am
post #3 of 21

Ooh, goody!! LOVE Harry!!

Once again I find myself getting excited about a new HP movie coming out, and once again I just know I'll be disappointed because they'll have left out so many of my favourite parts! Still, ever optimistic!! Are you guys going tomorrow?

I did go to the midnight launch of the last book - I thought it would be my last chance - managed to drag along my DD too. It was fun!

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 12:28am
post #4 of 21

I can't wait to see this movie. I just re-read the Half- Blood Prince and the Deatly Hallows. So sad that the series is coming to a close.

I am really glad the Deathly Hallows clarified things w/ Snape and Dumbledore.

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 12:57am
post #5 of 21

I can't wait to see it! Hopefully I will be able to make it this weekend, since things are horribly busy this week. The HBP was my favorite book! And even though I know I will be disappointed in the movie, I still cant wait to see it!

LambrinieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LambrinieCakes Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 2:11am
post #6 of 21

michellenj,

What is Deatly Hollows? I've never heard of it.

sinstl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sinstl Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 2:32am
post #7 of 21

I love the HP series. I think the movies have been great, but I too am always disappointed about the stuff they leave out. Just make the darn movie 7 or 8 hours long, I'll sit through it!
HBP was my favorite book in the series, so I'm seriously stoked to go see this movie. I just don't know when I'll get to go, no baby sitter. icon_cry.gif

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 2:39am
post #8 of 21

I can't wait to see it either......but we'll probably wait until the crowds die down a bit. I need to get the book out and give it a read again.

Lambriniecakes..."the Deathly Hallows" is the last book in the Harry Potter series...and the final book. I really like how everything was tied up in the end.

Jodie

-Tubbs Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 2:40am
post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinstl

I think the movies have been great, but I too am always disappointed about the stuff they leave out. Just make the darn movie 7 or 8 hours long, I'll sit through it!

That's just how I feel. Heck, if they can make a Lord of the Rings film 3 hours long, why not a HP?!

I tend to see the books and films as two completely different entities, like slightly different universes, the movie one being a universe where Harry has tidy hair and blue eyes, and Ron is crap (I really hope he doesn't make that face all the way through this one - you know - this face -> icon_surprised.gif ).

sinstl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sinstl Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 3:42am
post #10 of 21

Tubbs - When I watch the movies I have to try (really hard) to keep those "that's not how it was in the book!" thoughts from popping up through the whole thing. And I know the face you're talking about, I think it was the worst in Chamber of Secrets!
Even though, I am so glad they make the movies. They are just about the only movies I am ever excited to see.
I thought I heard somewhere that the last book will be made into two movies...anyone know if that's true?

LambrinieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LambrinieCakes Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 4:30am
post #11 of 21

Thanks JodieF for the reply.

I had to run out to my garage to see what books I've read and there it was, Deathly Hollows. I guess it's been so long without any HP books or movies that I forgot Id read it.

I'm so happy the movies out, but at the same time so sad. I wish J K Rowlings would create another series of books in the same genre.

Doug Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 12:33pm
post #12 of 21
Quote:

Tubbs - When I watch the movies I have to try (really hard) to keep those "that's not how it was in the book!" thoughts from popping up through the whole thing. And I know the face you're talking about, I think it was the worst in Chamber of Secrets!
Even though, I am so glad they make the movies. They are just about the only movies I am ever excited to see.
I thought I heard somewhere that the last book will be made into two movies...anyone know if that's true?

true

part one 2010, part two 2011.

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 5:13am
post #13 of 21

Saw the movie today! Woohoo! It's really good! Of course they leave out parts and changed up some too but none the less, it'll be one we'll buy when it comes out on DVD to go with the rest of the collection.

KimAZ

-Tubbs Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 11:22pm
post #14 of 21

WARNING -- SPOILERS!!
Just come back from the movies!

I did like the film, but it of course didn't bear too much relation to the book! They miss out some really important parts and add other, seemingly irrelevant things. It was longer than I expected though - 2.5 hrs. My friend who hasn't read the book ( icon_eek.gif - I know) had NO CLUE what was going on; there was little in the way of backstory; they assume that you know what's come before.

The kids were cute and funny, and their acting has come on quite a bit, especially Dan. I was disappointed that his relationship with Ginny just seemed to come from nowhere, and, most disappointing of all, their big post-quidditch snog in front of the whole common room, is a gentle and quick kiss on lips in the Room of Requirement, in front of, erm, nobody!

Was also sad that there is no big funeral scene at the end. I loved that in the book, although I thought the wand tribute was strangly moving.

Anyway, it makes me want to read the book again, so I guess that's a good thing!!

gleep Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gleep Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 2:08am
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbsCookies

Quote:

I think the movies have been great, but I too am always disappointed about the stuff they leave out. Just make the darn movie 7 or 8 hours long, I'll sit through it!

That's just how I feel. Heck, if they can make a Lord of the Rings film 3 hours long, why not a HP?!

I tend to see the books and films as two completely different entities, like slightly different universes, the movie one being a universe where Harry has tidy hair and blue eyes, and Ron is crap (I really hope he doesn't make that face all the way through this one - you know - this face -> icon_surprised.gif ).

The problem for me is they stick just close enough to the books that it's impossible to see them as separate entities. I saw HBP last night and have to say that I was less than thrilled with it. HBP was my favorite book in the series so I was irritated that they changed the whole tone of the book, added things that weren't even in the book, left out important things that will be needed in the last movie and altered something important at the end. Not happy!!

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 5:55pm
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbsCookies

It was longer than I expected though - 2.5 hrs. My friend who hasn't read the book ( icon_eek.gif - I know) had NO CLUE what was going on; there was little in the way of backstory; they assume that you know what's come before.

I think that it's been that way since the third movie. I know tons of people who hadn't read the books but liked the first two movies so they watched the third and lost interest.

We are going either tomorrow or Sunday because our local theater has only one screen so it was sure to be crowded the first couple days. It isn't a huge deal since we've had to wait a month or more to see something we wanted and I'm not willing to drive 120 miles to see something hte first weekend it's out.

cncgirl00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cncgirl00 Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 11:53am
post #17 of 21

I really didn't care for this movie AT ALL. This movie was supposed to be about learning everything concerning Voldemort so that Harry has a chance. They turned this somber book into a COMEDY movie! I'm really disgusted.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 25 Jul 2009 , 11:16pm
post #18 of 21

I didn't see the Half Blood Prince as a comedy, but Doug! are you serious about the last book being split into 2 movies?!?!?! I have never read the books. I'll read them when I see all the movies. I didn't want to risk that dissapointment of great books with not so great movies. We LOVE the Hairy Potter movies.

Doug Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 12:36am
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

I didn't see the Half Blood Prince as a comedy, but Doug! are you serious about the last book being split into 2 movies?!?!?! I have never read the books. I'll read them when I see all the movies. I didn't want to risk that dissapointment of great books with not so great movies. We LOVE the Hairy Potter movies.

yes:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/movies/la-et-potter13mar13,0,7162166.story

and it's all over the fan sites like mugglenet, etc.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 1:25am
post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

yes:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/movies/la-et-potter13mar13,0,7162166.story

and it's all over the fan sites like mugglenet, etc.

icon_surprised.gificon_cry.gif AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! icon_mad.gif We (me & my family) did not know this AT ALL. I just told my kids & they are so not happy...but of course we'll still be there as soon as it comes out. icon_rolleyes.gif

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 26 Jul 2009 , 1:47am
post #21 of 21

I saw the movie yesterday afternoon. It has been ages since I read the book, so the changing/rearranging didn't bother me so much. I was surprised tho that the spider Aragog got a bigger funeral than Dumbledore. And the Weasley's house did not burn down in the book. They handled the Dumbledore/Snape/Malfoy thing fairly well. All around good job.

All in all, I liked it. But the movies get darker and darker as the series progresses. I can't see taking children to see this one at all. I can only imagine how scary the final 2 films will be.

Bring 'em on! I can't wait!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%