Help! Getting Frustrated Regarding Colors...

Decorating By madhattercakes Updated 14 Jul 2009 , 9:04pm by Texas_Rose

madhattercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madhattercakes Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 8:37pm
post #1 of 4

I have no clue if there is a better way of doing this but I am getting frustrated with achieving a beautiful deep red and a truly dark black in icing or fondant. I have to put a ton of coloring gel in just to get it semi-dark enough and the disappointing result is when you bite into the icing/fondant your whole mouth is black or red. Is there a better way to coloring this stuff or is this how everyone does it? I want my strawberries and ladybugs to look red, not dark pink/almost red. Also with nice black spots and accents. Any thoughts??

3 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 8:57pm
post #2 of 4

i think americolour gels are top rated. or buy if ready coloured!
xx

madhattercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madhattercakes Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 9:01pm
post #3 of 4

All we have in Canada (on the west coast anyway) is the Wilton brand of readymade fondant (tastes like crap). Was hoping to make my own but I guess I could use the Wilton for small characters.......

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 9:04pm
post #4 of 4

To make black fondant, start with chocolate. I make my own marshmallow fondant using the really basic recipe (1lb MM, 2lb PS, 1/4 c water) and when I make it chocolate, I substitute 3/4 cup cocoa powder for 1 cup PS. Then you barely have to add any color to turn your brown fondant black. It helps with the green mouth issue too.

For red, try putting the coloring into the melted marshmallows instead of kneading it in. It doesn't take as much to get the right shade. I also like Americolor super red, but you have to be careful with it because it darkens over time...I painted a beautiful red rose with it and came back to find a dark brown rose icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%