Egg Free Recipe Needed For 1St Birthday

Decorating By jenng1482 Updated 14 Jul 2009 , 9:11pm by mommyle

jenng1482 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 8:29pm
post #1 of 7

HI everyone! I am going to be doing a 1st birthday cake next month. The birthday girl is allergic to eggs. Does anyone have an egg-free recipe that can use for the smash cake or better yet - one good enough to use for the entire cake?

6 replies
mommyle Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 8:43pm
post #2 of 7

I have used egg substitute (it's a powder that is made of baking soda, potato starch and other stuff), and is good. I found that my cakes didn't rise as much, but still tasted good. That being said, I've forgotten the eggs entirely sometimes (and NO I wasn't drinking that night!!!!) and the cake still turned out all right!

sadsmile Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 8:52pm
post #3 of 7

do you still use eggs when you do the soda cakes??? One mix and one can of soda... is that right?

jenng1482 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 8:55pm
post #4 of 7

I was thinking about doing a soda cake... or even the one with just a mix and a can of pumpkin. I was trying to pick the brains of the experts of other great ideas and recipes first!! Thanks for your help!

jenng1482 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 8:56pm
post #5 of 7

I was thinking about doing a soda cake... or even the one with just a mix and a can of pumpkin. I was trying to pick the brains of the experts of other great ideas and recipes first!! Thanks for your help!

sweet-thing Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 9:03pm
post #6 of 7

This the one I use. It is chocolate. I haven't tried other flavors.

1 1/2 C all purpose flour
3/4 C granulated sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup canola oil
1 Tbs white distilled vinegar
1 C cold water

Combine dry ingredients. Make a well and add wet ingredients. Mix until just combined. Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes. This only makes a one layer 8 or 9 inch cake so you would probably double it at least. I double it and it makes a good two layer 8 inch and I have also doubled it for a bundt type cake.

Hope this helps!
icon_smile.gif

mommyle Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 9:11pm
post #7 of 7

Seriously, go out and buy a box of egg substitute. It will keep for a long time in your cupboard, and it is easier than... Well, easier than finding a new recipe. I used the same recipe for my usual cakes, and then it's something like 1 tsp of stuff and 3 TBSP of water, mix it together so there are no clumps, and mix it like you would mix in your eggs. No muss, no fuss. Easy! I promise! And the taste is no different.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%