Quick, Random Question

Decorating By LynnZClaire Updated 15 Jul 2009 , 1:09pm by LynnZClaire

LynnZClaire Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 7:25pm
post #1 of 5

I have 24 cupcakes I'm making for a baby shower this weekend. The shower is Sunday. I will be out of town this weekend so the only way I could make them was if I made them and delivered them on Friday. The girl throwing the shower was fine with that. She will be out of town on Friday so she asked that I go to her house and put the cupcakes in her fridge. Now here's my question, the cupcakes are buttercream w/ fondant/gum paste mixed decorations. I have made cakes iced in buttercream w/ fondant decorations and put them in the fridge for a day and they seemed fine once they came out of the fridge. However, this past weekend I made cupcakes w/ fondant decorations on thursday, put them in the fridge that night and took them out on friday for a 1 1/2 hour drive, then put them in the fridge when we arrived at our location. The next day, saturday, I took them out of the fridge and the decorations looked...kind of damp and limp...def. not hard like they had been when I first made them and put them on the cupcakes, kind of like they had melted. Now I'm afraid to make these cupcakes and put them in her fridge only for her to come home Sunday and the decorations be melted. I hope I just made sense....

So what do I do? Do I go ahead and make the cupcakes decorated and put them in the fridge or do I put the cupcakes in the fridge and leave the decorations out for her to put on on Sunday??

TIA!!!!! Sorry if this was a longgg drawn out questions icon_rolleyes.gif

4 replies
brincess_b Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 9:18pm
post #2 of 5

first question - why do they need to be in the fridge? is the bc or filling perishable? then no refridgeration! especially since you have been having issues with the accents (depends on the fridge, the type of fondant/ gumpaste, the weather/ humidity).
plus, if there is exposed cake then they will dry out.
i would just box them up, and leave them somewhere cool, they will be fine.

sari66 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 11:07pm
post #3 of 5

I agree shouldn't need to be in fridge if not needed.

sari66 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 11:08pm
post #4 of 5

I agree shouldn't need to be in fridge if not necessary

LynnZClaire Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 1:09pm
post #5 of 5

ohh, I don't know why I thought they had to stay in the fridge, lol. I've just always put my cupcakes in the fridge before traveling w/ them. They are just vanilla cupcakes w/ buttercream icing...so you're right, nothing would go bad. THANK YOU!! That saved me the worry of my decorations wilting right off the cupcake icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%