Fondant That Is Sliding Off Cake

Decorating By tlhiscox Updated 16 Jul 2009 , 10:01pm by BlakesCakes

tlhiscox Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 7:17pm
post #1 of 5

I am just learning how to decorated cakes. Yesterday I decorated a cake with satin ice fondant and today the fondant is sliding down the cake. It basically looks like it is melting off the cake. The cake has not been anywhere that is hot. I just don't know what I did wrong. Please help! Thank you!

4 replies
BlakesCakes Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 9:02pm
post #2 of 5

What type of icing was under the fondant?

How thick did you roll the fondant?

How warm was the place you stored the cake overnight?

Was the cake cold when you put the fondant on it?

Did you put the cake in something airtight when you stored it?

Deb_ Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 9:03pm
post #3 of 5

Oh boy that stinks...........did you use butter cream under the fondant? It sounds like the fondant isn't adhering to the butter cream.

I usually ice with bc then put the fondant on the next day, but before I do I "spritz" the bc with water so that the fondant will adhere to it better.

tlhiscox Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 4:57pm
post #4 of 5

I am taking the Wilton cake courses & this happened to a cake that I made in class. The cake was not cool. I used buttercream icing under fondant. The cake was stored overnight in my house that is about 73 degrees. I did leave the cake in the cake carrier overnight. Am I supposed to leave it uncovered? I believe it was rolled out to 1/8" but I am not positive. The later it got on Wednesday the more the one side started to fall off. I am glad the cake was not for an special occasion. I did ask my cake instructor what she thought the problem might be but she had never had that happen to her. She thought maybe the Satin Ice was too soft. Thank you so much for your help

BlakesCakes Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 10:01pm
post #5 of 5

Definitely a result of storing a fondant covered cake in a closed plastic container.

Fondant covered cakes need to be left uncovered, or at most, in a cardboard box that allows some air circulation.

When you leave a fondant covered cake in an airtight environment, the moisture from the cake begins to liquify the fondant. It loses its "grip" on the cake and begins to slide off. This effect is magnified if the cake in the carrier is warmed by exposure to direct sunlight, etc.

If it was crusting buttercream and you spritzed water on it before putting on the fondant, the areas where water was concentrated will also be prone to sliding.

Other than that, I can't think of any other issues.

Quote by @%username% on %date%