Stacked Cake Layers Stick Together And Pulling Off Fondant!

Decorating By jdoyle123 Updated 14 Jul 2009 , 8:42pm by tiggy2

jdoyle123 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 6:53pm
post #1 of 6

How do I prevent the different layers of a cake stacked one on top of another from sticking. I am a novice cake maker and the last cake I made when I took the middle and top layers off, ripped off the fondant leaving an ugly torn hole of fondant from the lower layer.

Will wax paper between the layers work? Or will this stick too?

Please advise! icon_smile.gif Thanks very much for your tips!

5 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 7:05pm
post #2 of 6

That has never happened to you let the fondant dry a while before you stack the tiers? What are your cake boards covered in? I use foamcore covered with plastic wrap or press and seal wrap.

You could sprinkle the lower layer with powdered sugar to prevent sticking.

tiggy2 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 7:14pm
post #3 of 6

It could be that your dowels are too short. Are you doweling your layers so the next layer is barely touching the layer below?

OhMyGanache Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 8:00pm
post #4 of 6

I'm confused... when I stack cakes, I WANT the top tier to stick the one before and will "glue" it in place with royal icing. I don't want my cakes shifting at all during transport. Usually running a knife between the two tiers before you lift the top one will separate them cleanly.

leah_s Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 8:17pm
post #5 of 6

Layers? I hope you're talking about tiers.
But in all my years of caking, I've never had that happen. What kind of fondant are you using?

And ditto what everyone else said.

tiggy2 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 8:42pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks Leahs, I was talking about tiers but looking at the OP and typed layers, my bad.

Quote by @%username% on %date%