Freezing Bc Roses/flowers?

Decorating By klallen21 Updated 15 Jul 2009 , 4:57pm by klallen21

klallen21 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 6:21pm
post #1 of 6

Has anyone tried freezing BC roses or flowers? If so, does it work? For how long can they freeze? Did they turn out ok?

I know I've frozen a cake with roses on it before and it turned out great...didn't know if it'd be any different with doing just the roses.

5 replies
icer101 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 6:26pm
post #2 of 6

lots of people freeze their roses. i never have.. but they say they do good.. yes, cakes with roses on them freeze fine.. hth

funcakes Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 10:48pm
post #3 of 6

Back in the day, when I started to learn cake decorating, Wilton published booklets that showed all the tips and different piping that could be done with them. This booklet was published as well as their yearly Wilton Book. In this instructional booklet they gave directions for BC roses and the instructions included directions to place the roses in the freezer, then place on the cake still frozen.
I have always done it that way. It reduces the chances of damaging them when moving them.

funcakes Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 10:50pm
post #4 of 6

Back in the day, when I started to learn cake decorating, Wilton published booklets that showed all the tips and different piping that could be done with them. This booklet was published as well as their yearly Wilton Book. In this instructional booklet they gave directions for BC roses and the instructions included directions to place the roses in the freezer, then place on the cake still frozen.
I have always done it that way. It reduces the chances of damaging them when moving them.

Unlimited Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 11:45pm
post #5 of 6

If you're freezing them so that you can handle them more easily, you're better off letting them air dry especially if your icing is too thin because they're just going to melt once they thaw to room temp.

If you're freezing them because you aren't going to use them right away, I'd still let them air dry... they'll be good for a long time. You shouldn't need to freeze them unless you didn't need them for several months into the future but who would make roses that many months in advance anyway?? It only takes a couple of days to dry firm enough to easily place where you want on a cake.

klallen21 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 4:57pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you all! Wonderful info!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%