5 Hour Cake Ride And Gumpaste Q

Decorating By woodruffbn Updated 16 Jul 2009 , 9:48pm by woodruffbn

woodruffbn Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 5:46pm
post #1 of 6

A friend of mine wants me to make her baby shower cake in August. I have decided to make a 8in round with a 4 in round carved to look like a baby's hiney covered in a blanket (inspiration from several cakes in the gallery). My friend lives about 5 hours from me. My question is, what amount of work should I do at home? I can use my MIL's kitchen which is very close to my friend's house. But I'm not used to her oven and she doesn't have much counter space... Should I just bake the cakes and wrap them and bring them to MIL's to decorate? Or should I decorate both cakes and assemble on site? Or should i just do the entire thing here and let it ride? (Im using dowels for support) I'm stressing over this! Also, I plan on using fondant and tylose or gumpaste to make the legs/feet and blanket. What should my timeline for that be? When i make the blanket, should I let it dry for a few days before putting it on the cake? I know these may be dumb questions, but I'm just a dumb little newbie! icon_redface.gif LOL

5 replies
brincess_b Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 7:20pm
post #2 of 6

i would do it all at home, but i would assemble on site (others would probably drive it stacked - personal preferance i guess).
i would do the limbs in advance (up to you, it will take longer to dry the thicker it is). the blanket, i would do pretty close to finish time, make sure the baby is on a big flat cake board to support the blanket so it sits properly on the finished cake.

sadsmile Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 8:38pm
post #3 of 6

I have made gumpaste and dried it thouroughly and layed it on soft Viva paper towels and transported with closed containers. But it will re absorb moisture if not left open. Be carefull not to put any pressure at all on the dry things. You could even have them on some egg crate foam. I would do it all ahead of time and not have the stress of cooking in a strange kitchen.

Edit to add: I just traveled with The Lady Bug fully stacked and nearly had a heart attack after an hours drive. That thing was a wibbling and a wobbling like jello but it did make it there. One side of the buttercream started to slide down just a tiny bit but no one else noticed. Oh and I forgot the gumpaste layones I made and had to have hubby go 30 minutes out of his way to get them on his way up to my Aunt's house. So make yourself a check list of EVERYTHING you are bringing ahead of time and tape it to the door or something.

woodruffbn Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 1:03am
post #4 of 6

Good idea sadsmile! A checklist... BC I have a tendancy to forget... ALOT. LOL! And I think you guys are right. i'm gonna make everything here. But I think i will assemble on sight. Because it's a long bumpy ride and I'm afraid my little dowels wouldn't keep my cake from falling apart.. What about my gumpaste blanket? Should I let that dry a day or so before putting it on? Or just use it like fondant and drape it on? I have never used gumpaste.

brincess_b Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 9:11pm
post #5 of 6

i think id be making the blanket out of fondant, keep things more edible, unless the look you want is really thin. anyway, id be doing it as ner to leaving time as possible.

woodruffbn Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 9:48pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you brincess_b! That's why i love asking questions here! Because you guys have such great answers! And if it weren't for you guys I'd be doing all the wrong things! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%