Consultations For Birthday Cakes?

Business By springlakecake Updated 15 Jul 2009 , 3:34pm by springlakecake

springlakecake Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 5:43pm
post #1 of 7

In the last couple of weeks I have had 3 people ask to come for a meeting over a birthday cake. I have a legal business out of my home (separate licensed kitchen). I really just don't feel the need to have a meeting over a birthday cake . I have let them know that I can generally handle the order through the telephone or email. I guess if they HAVE to come I could accomdate, but I don't want to have to find a babysitter and clean up my house for it. Does anyone else run into this? What do you tell the customer? I was thinking something like that I only hold consultations with overs over a certain amount?

6 replies
leah_s Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 6:17pm
post #2 of 7

I only hold a consultation for a birthday cake if it gonna be for 100 servings or so. Otherwise, we work via email.

springlakecake Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 9:09pm
post #3 of 7

okay, that's what I was thinking. Unless it is a huge gala I just don't feel the need to meet. Maybe they wanna see the looks of me or see where I work or something.

CakeForte Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 5:31am
post #4 of 7

Yup - only if it's going to be a large fancy one.

Nchanted1 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 1:10pm
post #5 of 7

I have a differet take on this. I will do a full tasting for a birthday cake, because it is NEVER just one cake. I intend to wow them into calling me for all their birthday, anniversary, shower cakes etc. forever! That's a lot of cakes.

Once they taste, their business is mine forever. Plus, they tend to talk me up to their friends and family, because I make it a real occasion. 6 flavors of cake, 3 icings, 5 fillings, homemade fondant vs. Wilton...I educate them, tease them, send them home happy with leftovers. They leave talking about what flavor they will get for their next cake after this first one.

They also leave with a pocketful of cards to give away. And they do!
Just my 2 cents.

bakery_chick Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 1:29pm
post #6 of 7

I meet with every client, but that is because I have a shop and I am there anyways. If I worked from home, I think I would not feel the same. I get requests a lot for cake tastings for birthdays, but unless it is for a grand event there is no tasting. If I am feeling generous, I might give them a cupcake if I have some extras lying around.

springlakecake Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 3:34pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for your responses!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%