Can I Make Flowers With Mmf

Decorating By Mylittleflutterby Updated 15 Jul 2009 , 5:13pm by Texas_Rose

Mylittleflutterby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mylittleflutterby Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 5:24pm
post #1 of 9

I am going to be making some cupcakes and wanted to decorate them with little violet type flowers and was wondering if I could make them with mmf? I have never worked with fondant or gumpaste and although i am sure gumpaste would work better in my area I either have to buy a tonne which is expensive or I can't find the stuff to make it. I am however interested in trying to make MMF.

Thanks for any advice/tutorials!!

8 replies
kmiller799 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmiller799 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 2:16pm
post #2 of 9

MM fondant does not dry as hard as regular fondant and gum paste do in my experience. I have never tried to make flowers with it but the bow I tried failed miserably.

MLand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MLand Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 2:23pm
post #3 of 9

I only use MMF. I have done a few bows, couple baby booties, and flowers so far and mine turns out fine. (I have pics of a daisy and rose on my site under fondant items.)

Mylittleflutterby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mylittleflutterby Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 2:47pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks! I think I will give it a go well before the event so I can test it and see how it turns out icon_biggrin.gif

CanadianCakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 3:34pm
post #5 of 9

I use MMF all the time! It depends exactly the circumstance of the conditions the cake will be in etc....when I did my daughters castle cake with like 300 little flowers they were all MMF also I did a mothers day cake with cherry blossoms all MMF....If I am doing tulips or lillies that need to be uber thin I at least try to do a 50/50 mix or all gum paste...
For small flowers that aren't 'constructed' so to speak it works fine..I think when you get into the more 'constructed' flowers with wire and such gum paste is a safer bet...
HTH!

Tracy79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracy79 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 4:18pm
post #6 of 9

I use mmf for flowers. I usually add tylose to the mmf, work it in and then it dries almost like gumpaste.

Tracy79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracy79 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 4:21pm
post #7 of 9

I use mmf for flowers. I usually add tylose to the mmf, work it in and then it dries almost like gumpaste.

cindy1176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy1176 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 4:58pm
post #8 of 9

I use mmf all the time for flowers, especially small ones like the violet. Like the poster above said, add a little tylose and they will dry very quickly. I usually make lots of the small flowers and have them on hand for last minute cakes. They are all made of fondant and I keep them in tupperware for weeks at a time.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 5:13pm
post #9 of 9

I use MMF for flowers. It's nicer than using gumpaste because the flowers can be eaten. I've never had them wilt on a cake...usually I dry them for a day or more before I put them on the cake, but small ones don't have to be dried first. If you look in my photos, most of my flowers have been made with MMF...only the ones on wires are gumpaste. I use MMF for bows too, without adding any tylose, and it works fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%