Fondant Help---May Be A Dumb Question!

Decorating By leah379 Updated 14 Jul 2009 , 11:18pm by leah379

leah379 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 5:18pm
post #1 of 16

So, I need to make a few shades of pink fondant for a birthday cake. I haven't colored fondant before, so I am a little perplexed. Can I color ready-made white fondant? Or do I have to color the fondant while it is being made? In other words, can I buy a box of already made white fondant and color it myself? Or do I need to cook up a batch and color it while its in the process? Thanks for the help!

15 replies
Kimmers971 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 5:36pm
post #2 of 16

No question is ever dumb icon_biggrin.gif

Yes, you can color ready made fondant, but it is difficult and changes the consistency some. Just add coloring and knead away, you may find it becomes very sticky so you'll need to add some PS. I suggest working with gloves or your hands will be pink for days icon_biggrin.gif

Good Luck!

suzyq0204 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 5:46pm
post #3 of 16

Yes, as the last post said you can color ready made fondant but do wear gloves. I made that mistake and had pink hands for days. Also, I have found the color will darken after you leave it sit for a while.

KonfectionKonnection Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 5:47pm
post #4 of 16

No dumb questions! Everyone has had to ask the beginner questions at some point!

Yes, you can color premade fondant--as has already been said. Something else that sometimes helps, though, if you have to add a lot of color: let the fondant rest for awhile. Work the color in then wrap the fondant in plastic wrap and/or put it in a ziplock bag, and just let it set for a few hours. Sometimes just letting it set and absorb the color helps make it more manageable and less sticky as well.

HTH!

hensor Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 5:48pm
post #5 of 16

Definitely wear gloves....otherwise your hands will be colored for days. I also will add vanilla or butter flavoring to ready-made fondant, it softens it up a bit and helps with the taste. And keep the powdered sugar on hand because you will need it for stickiness.

mgwebb68 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 5:52pm
post #6 of 16

One tip I can offer to help is to knead your ready made fondant and get it softer, then roll it out, but not as thin as you want for what you doing, just give yourself a large area of fondant. Then spread your gel color out on the fondat and cover the entire side that is facing you, just rub it over the fondant with your hand (gloved hand). Fold it in on itself (right and left side in, top and bottom in) and start kneading.

This will keep you from ploping a bunch of color in one little spot and having to work it into a big batch of fondant, not to mention when you actually get to the spot inside where the gel is and it squishes out on you. If it gets sticky as some PS a little at a time.

Most of the time I don't like to wear gloves, my hands are too hot and it just isn't comfortable, I just keep a bottle of Clorox Cleanup under the sink. When I'm done, I lather my hands up with soap and spray a little cleanup in them, lather up again and all the color comes off. Lathering up first keeps the clorox from being has hard on your hands.

leah379 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 7:22pm
post #7 of 16

Man, I am really gonna sound dumb now. What is PS? I don't know all of the abbreviations everyone is using yet lol Also, one more question. I want to color the tips of my roses with a paint brush. I have seen it on Cake Boss haha But what do you mix the color with? Or do you just brush it right on out of the container? Thank you everyone sooo much!

mgwebb68 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 7:36pm
post #8 of 16

PS is powdered sugar.

Mix your color with vodka, if you mix it right out of the container it will be too thick and too dark.

Don't worry, I don't know all the abreviations either. There is a post that lists them, go to the forums, and General, there's a Sticky that lists the acronyms.

here's the link (if it works):http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926.html

millermom Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 7:48pm
post #9 of 16

I've had success with just coating my hands in shortening to keep them from staining. They will look stained at first, but it washes right off with warm water and soap icon_smile.gif

mgwebb68 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 8:02pm
post #10 of 16

millermom - I tried the shortening, it works, as long as you aren't a messy cook like me. I tend to forget that I have the shortening on my hands and touch every surface in my kitchen, and my glasses icon_redface.gif . After trying to get the shortening off my glasses for the umpteenth time I opted to not do that anymore. But it does work. thumbs_up.gif

millermom Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 8:22pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgwebb68

millermom - I tried the shortening, it works, as long as you aren't a messy cook like me. I tend to forget that I have the shortening on my hands and touch every surface in my kitchen, and my glasses icon_redface.gif . After trying to get the shortening off my glasses for the umpteenth time I opted to not do that anymore. But it does work. thumbs_up.gif

You could probably slide right through my kitchen after I am donw with fondant from all of the things I've touched with greasy hands icon_lol.gif
But in the absence of gloves, it does work icon_smile.gif

sadsmile Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 8:32pm
post #12 of 16

Wonderfull advice above!

I'll add this... be sure your gel colors are new and not all old and partly dry.

I just made a batch of bright pink with flecks of hardened pink jel. I threw it away and started over because I could not stand it. I also threw away all the older colors because I don't want that happening again.

Americolor jels are fab and have a flip top drip drop squeeze release. I love and reccomend these to everyone!!!

millermom Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 8:42pm
post #13 of 16

Ditto to the Americolor thumbs_up.gif

leah379 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 10:02pm
post #14 of 16

Well I just finished making a few roses. I colored the fondant with pink and used the shortening since I didn't have any gloves. It worked perfectly! NO pink on the hands. icon_smile.gif I attached a pic of what I have so far. I want to paint the darker pink onto the tips of the roses to give them 2 tones. icon_smile.gif
LL

millermom Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 10:22pm
post #15 of 16

Great job! I have trouble getting my fondant roses so full icon_cry.gif

Yours look great, though icon_biggrin.gif

leah379 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 11:18pm
post #16 of 16

So I just tried to make the mixture for painting the tips. The color with the vodka. Does anyone know what the consistency should be like? I think I may have used too much vodka because it was super watery and just looked like a hot mess when I tried to paint it onto the roses. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%