Rosebuds & Writing...???? (Mod. Edited)

Decorating By ally38562 Updated 15 Jul 2009 , 4:01am by LaBellaFlor

ally38562 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ally38562 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 5:11pm
post #1 of 88

I can bake, I can perfectly smooth the entire cake in bc. I can even do bc roses! But I can NOT make a buttercream rosebud! I cant write on a cake either. Cant do it when I practice, cant do it on the cake. Doesn't matter if I print or do cursive. I even tried the letter press kit. Still can't do it! How awful would it be if all my cakes are iced in bc with fondant letters? Thats the only thing I can think to do. Please tell me I'm not the only one!

87 replies
KieslerKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KieslerKakes Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 5:17pm
post #2 of 88

You're not the only one! I still struggle with roses and writting on cakes, but I keep practicing. I figure one day it will click with me.

cindy1176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy1176 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 5:18pm
post #3 of 88

I am with ya!!! I have had to scrape letters off and redo more times than I want to admit! It really takes practice and making sure I use corn syrup or gel to make my letters not crack while "writing"! And I am lousy at the shell border...just can't get it, lol!

Yankie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yankie Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 5:19pm
post #4 of 88

The writting was a problem for me too. I used to freak out/sweat when I had to write on a cake. So what I did was practice on a board, with no hesitation...because if you think about it too much you will mess it up. So now I just go for it and it works..just make sure the icing is thin enough.

tammytaylor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammytaylor Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 5:28pm
post #5 of 88

I can write on one all day long! But, when it comes to making bc roses, I just can't make my hands work! I know what I want to do, but just can't do it! icon_mad.gif

mkm25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkm25 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 5:29pm
post #6 of 88

I'm a Wilton Method Instructor and I find that one of the hardest things for the students to grasp is the rosebud. It seems so simple when you look at it, but I spend almost an hour teaching it every time! I think it's jut one of those things that will eventually "click." Be patient, you'll get it. icon_smile.gif

woodruffbn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woodruffbn Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 5:33pm
post #7 of 88

I have seen a lot of BC cakes with fondant letters. I think it looks fine!

jennym0904 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennym0904 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 5:40pm
post #8 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkm25

I'm a Wilton Method Instructor and I find that one of the hardest things for the students to grasp is the rosebud. It seems so simple when you look at it, but I spend almost an hour teaching it every time! I think it's jut one of those things that will eventually "click." Be patient, you'll get it. icon_smile.gif

i finally figured it out after i took the course a second time, and there were only 2 people in the class as opposed to 8 the first time! icon_smile.gif i need one on one. once in a while i can write pretty neatly on cakes, but some days my hands just get all crazy! icon_sad.gif

tiggerjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggerjo Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 5:43pm
post #9 of 88

My sister and I took the class together. We could not do the bud til she screwed up and did it backwards. Comes out just about perfect everytime. I'm thinking the instructor must have thought we were crazy cuz we laughed so hard over this. Give it a try, it's worth a shot.

craftyleah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftyleah Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 5:56pm
post #10 of 88

Sorry ladies, but I've got to be the killjoy here. No, you're not retarded. I'm sure if you were mentally retarded, like my daughter is, you'd be having other difficulties. I really wish people would stop using this as a slang term.

cupcakeco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeco Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 6:22pm
post #11 of 88

@craftyleah you took the words right out of my mouth.. icon_redface.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 6:37pm
post #12 of 88

i am sorry craftyleah and cupcakeco...... i have read what everyone said 3 times.. i cannot find where anyone mentioned the word retarded. hello? correct me if i am wrong.. one person ..mentioned ..her and her sister laughed so hard at how they did it.. the teacher must have thought they were crazy.... didn,t say retarded.. i was really enjoying reading this post until i got to yours. it took all the joy out of it. you need to rethink before you post remarks like that.. it happens everyday to somebody.. people take things out of context and make it like they want it..it is sad.... sad.. sad...

craftyleah Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 6:42pm
post #13 of 88

I didn't take anything out of context, the post is titled "Rosebuds and writing.... Am I retarded?"

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 6:43pm
post #14 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

i am sorry craftyleah and cupcakeco...... i have read what everyone said 3 times.. i cannot find where anyone mentioned the word retarded. hello? correct me if i am wrong.. one person ..mentioned ..her and her sister laughed so hard at how they did it.. the teacher must have thought they were crazy.... didn,t say retarded.. i was really enjoying reading this post until i got to yours. it took all the joy out of it. you need to rethink before you post remarks like that.. it happens everyday to somebody.. people take things out of context and make it like they want it..it is sad.... sad.. sad...

It is in the title of the post. "Rosebuds and writing-am I retarded?".

Cupcake & Crafty, I also have a retarded (Down syndrome) daughter as well.

Now to the post-practice is what helped me the most.

craftyleah Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 6:46pm
post #15 of 88

I didn't take anything out of context, the post is titled "Rosebuds and writing.... Am I retarded?" Like you said icer101 people should think before they post.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 6:48pm
post #16 of 88

i do see it in the title. now.. so, you didn,t take anything out of context.. but i am sure this post is harmless. like so many... i am sorry.. that i said you took it out of context.. forgive me..

craftyleah Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 6:49pm
post #17 of 88

I didn't take anything out of context, the post is titled "Rosebuds and writing.... Am I retarded?" Like you said icer101 people should think before they post.

terrig007 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 6:51pm
post #18 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

i do see it in the title. now.. so, you didn,t take anything out of context.. but i am sure this post is harmless. like so many... i am sorry.. that i said you took it out of context.. forgive me..

Well Icer speaking for myself I am sick and tired of people throwing around the word "retarded" and calling it "harmless" or telling me to lighten up. I taught special needs kids for years before I was married and ever had my daughter. To you it's nothing but it is offensive.

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 7:02pm
post #19 of 88

I think we should all read this poem, and realize that this is a cake decorating forum, and not necessarily for airing all of our opinions, they will be different anytime you get a group this big together.

I don't think this is the place to sit and argue about every little thing, just discuss cakes.

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 7:06pm
post #20 of 88

I am often offended by people who dress inappropriately for their age or body type... but does that give me the right to confront them about it? No - I know they dress the way they do because they see themself differently than I do, and not to offend me. Why should I make someone feel bad when I know they did not intend to offend me?

Think about it...

millermom Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 7:07pm
post #21 of 88

Oops! Here's the link. It just ran in the forums yesterday. I just want to be able to post and know that I'm not starting a firestorm.http://www.cakecentral.com/poem-ftopicp-6476882.html#6476882 icon_redface.gif

terrig007 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 7:11pm
post #22 of 88

Well I will go back to lurking because obviously it's offensive to you that some of us who have children that are retarded got offened. I am also here for cake and not drama but I just think people can use other adjectives.
But think about this, those of us who are directly affected with children or other relatives have a different perspective than those who don't.

millermom Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 7:21pm
post #23 of 88

My point exactly. Let's keep those perspectives related to cake...please

jonahsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonahsmom Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 7:23pm
post #24 of 88

Okay, I can see BOTH sides of the story on this one. But my opinion is still a little different.

I have an autistic son (aspergers type). To some people that see him when he is melting down he is just a "rotten brat" who needs better parents. To some people at other times he may seem to behave in a "retarded" manner.

My husband and I don't get upset about words like retarded or brat or whatever because WORDS ARE ONLY WORDS. [u] Words only have the power to affect us if we let them.

If we react to someone saying something like that as just a manner of speech, then he's going to also react poorly to it. Now, I'm not saying that we wouldn't say something if a person said something like that specifically for the purpose of being hateful. That's an entirely different story and I would sooooo open up a can of whoopass on 'em! BUT, there is a big, big difference in people that use those words as a manner of speech and people that use those words to be hateful.

We are all adults that can differentiate between the two, I'm quite sure. I love my little boy more than ANYTHING and will do anything, ANYTHING to protect him. But I also know that I need to choose my battles wisely or I won't have the enrgy (and neither will HE) to fight the battles that are worthwhile.

bamberc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bamberc Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 7:27pm
post #25 of 88

I have to say thank you to craftyleah for speaking up-my daughter also has DS, and I was immediately cringing when I read the title of the post. Of course she didn't intentionally mean to offend anyone by writing that-she was only trying to demean herself...by negatively comparing herself to people with mental retardation. And I feel the only way we-meaning people who care about someone who is mentally retarded-are ever going to change the ugly meaning of this term that has truly clinical meaning, is by speaking up and letting people know that it is not okay.
I wish I had some constructive advice regarding the OP's issues, but I am new to cake decorating and can't do flowers, and am still working on writing. I'm sure with practice you will get better.

jonahsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonahsmom Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 7:32pm
post #26 of 88

Wow, didn't mean to underline all that...

klallen21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klallen21 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 7:37pm
post #27 of 88

My Wilton 1 cake instructor taught us about printing an outline for something from our computer (like the rainbow on my rainbow cake) and outlining the printed image by punching holes with a toothpick around all the lines....

I tried the same thing with printing out the message I liked (Happy Birthday..., etc) and punching holes with a toothpick...laying the paper over the dried iced BC cake and lightly moving my hand over the paper (same method that you can do with the Viva paper towel)....remove the paper....the toothpick imprints remain on the cake and then I have a guide to follow...

I hope this makes sense.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 7:45pm
post #28 of 88

I knew this was going to happen when I saw the title of the thread. It's obvious that the OP didn't mean anything by it and I commend the ladies who gently pointed out that it wasn't an appropriate use of the word...It's really true that people whose lives haven't been touched by a certain issue don't realize how offensive words can be. For example, for many years my husband's jokes all included "two midgets and a camera." Now we've got a daughter with a growth problem and that word is a big no-no around here.

But, girls, I have to ask this...is the summer heat getting to us or what??? Are we all PMS-ing at the same time? Lately it seems like about 1/4 of all the threads degenerate into an argument.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 7:46pm
post #29 of 88

Another thing you can do, is roll out a thin sheet of GP, and make a plaque instead of writing directly on the cake. I can't do it, looks like crap. You can cut the plaque to fit the theme of the cake, color it, do things to hide the fact that it's a plaque....I do this a lot. For my monograms. icon_smile.gif

TyTy78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TyTy78 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 7:52pm
post #30 of 88

OMG!! I was just thinking the same thing...I hate writing on cakes and even worse making buttercream roses. I had to do a sheet cake this past weekend and they wanted writing on it, immediately I freaked out luckily I managed to get it look halfway decent. I had to make about 12 BC roses to get 4 that sort of resembled roses.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%