Wasted Money And New Invention

Decorating By Yankie Updated 15 Jul 2009 , 3:29am by Unlimited

Yankie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yankie Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 4:54pm
post #1 of 5

I know we have all wasted money on an item we purchased for decorating cakes. Which one is yours?

Also, if you had the chance to create something to improve or save you time while decorating cakes, what would that be?

I came accross these dark coated pans that I had used only once because my cakes burned and it never really baked all the way...I can't figure out what the brand name is...That was money wasted. Also the ribbon cutter and embosser set by wilton another waste of money. I could never get it to work

Now, If I had a chance to invent something it would be some type of airtight container where I can have fondant already cut in different sizes for covering cakes. I think that would be a time saver.

4 replies
jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 5:07pm
post #2 of 5

Definitely the Wilton ribbon cutter & embosser set for me too - as well as the Wilton mat that's supposed to be used for rolling out fondant. Oh also, the Wilton letters and numbers mold set - my letters always stick and the whole process is just so time consuming. I'd much rather use tappits.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 5:13pm
post #3 of 5

There's quite a few threads like this here on CC, but we haven't had one in a while, so here goes.

My 2" deep pans. They're just not for me. I find it easier to bake fewer 3" cakes than to bake off a bunch of 2" pans. I invested so much money in pans when I got back into decorating, all one particular brand, from the craft store. Yes, I had the coupons, so I bought them that way.

I keep them because you just never know, but now that I've been introduced to other sizes, other brands, but the last time I brought one out, it was the 10X2 inch round that I used for the brownie in my burger cake.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 5:21pm
post #4 of 5

The Wilton roll-and-cut mat was the worst buy I ever made, and it was a hassle beside because there was no place to store it properly, much less really get it CLEAN. A ruler works better.

And I would invent a mold or series of molds to be purchased with your pans that would smooth your icing PERFECTLY every time.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 3:29am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joffy

Now, If I had a chance to invent something it would be some type of airtight container where I can have fondant already cut in different sizes for covering cakes. I think that would be a time saver.

A time saver for everyone! You should do it... sounds do-able and a great idea. (Just don't tell all of your invention ideas before you talk to a patent lawyer and market it or you'll be upset when you see that someone else did it first and it's available in all the stores now!) I'll be watching for your invention... what are you going to call it???

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%