Customers Uuggggghhhhhuuuhhhhh....

Decorating By three_sets_of_twins Updated 18 Jul 2009 , 7:59am by three_sets_of_twins

three_sets_of_twins Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 9:21am
post #1 of 22

Customer number # - cupcake tower using styrofoam cone.
customer: How much is your cupcake tower?
me: thank you for your interest! it is $XX.
customer: wow! thats a lot!
me: well, its a lot of work and it aint cheap to make either.
customer: hmm, ok I want one. with 200 cupcakes.
me: ok no problem. that will be $XX. What color ?
customer: red. no white. no red. no white. red and white.
me: red and white alternating, or one cone red, one cone white?
customer. *after 5 min* alternating.
me: ok. so they'll be 100 cupcakes per tower, keep in mind it will be smallter than a 200 cupcake tower.
Customer: Smaller? that means it should be cheaper. give me a discount.
me: uuh, no? actually it doesnt? its still 200 cupcakes.
customer: but it's smaller you just said.
me, but, see, its still, 200 cupcakes. if anything, I should charge you MORE cos now I gotta buy 2 sets of tools for everything, but I thought I'd throw that it in.
Customer: I dont see why its the same price since the size is going to be smaller.
me: I charge per cupcake ma'm/ its still 200 CUPCAKES!!
customer: hmph.
Me: what flavor cupcakes?
customer: vanilla.
3 days later : customer: actually can I have 4 different flavors?
me: fine I can do 50 cupcakes each flavor. which ones?
customer: I dont know just do anything
me: uuh you need to pick.
customer: I dont care.

Customer number 2:
I'd like to send a cupcake bouquet to my friend. surprise delivery.
me: sure! how many cupcakes?
customer: hmmm, 8 cupcakes. 4 normal, 4 mini. white and pink.
me: great!
customer: and a pink pot with a white ribbon
me: uuh, ok, if I cant find a pink pot, what color would you like as a 2nd choice?
customer: white I guess.
next day I get back to customer: I couldnt find those colors, would a vase be ok? a clear one?
customer: hmmmm. *sigh* ok.
2 days before delivery:
Did you make it? did you start? can you send me a picture? send me a picture of the empt vase. send me a picture of the ribbon. send me a picture of the ciupcake before you stick it on. send me a picture before you deliver it to her so i can make sure i like it. (which i find offensive and rude, youve seen my website and what I do why are you putting me through this crap?

This person is now on my list of people not to do business with anymore. Even though she's nice in general, ughhhhh shes an annoying customer. she even changed her mind for what she wanted to put in the card 2 times AFTER i made it. the 3rd time I told her this is IT if she wants another one the card is not free.

I'm sorry but I have ordered cakes and had dresses made and all that stuff. I told the person what I wanted and trusted their judgement. I did not call them every 2 minutes and ask them to SEND ME PICTURES after every step I make to get approval. uughhhh.

LOL sorry but after like a WEEK sitting here readung yalls posts I had to chime in with my own little vent!!

21 replies
JaimeAnn Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 9:55am
post #2 of 22

Sometimes you just want to smack em huh? ahhahahh

redpanda Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 1:26am
post #3 of 22

I'm confused on the first customer--what made it go from one tower with 200 to two towers with 100 each? I see you asked if they wanted alternating OR one white one red. Since they wanted alternating, why would there need to be 2?

Just curious. I'm probably just missing something really obvious.

nannie Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 1:38am
post #4 of 22

mommicakes Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 1:52am
post #5 of 22

It is stories like this that make me want to slap them with an icing bag, or whip them with a fondant rope. icon_biggrin.gif

Had one email me yesterday: wants a 3 tiered square cake and a kitchen cake to feed 200 guests, I sent her a quote and she replies back:

That sounds a lot too much, we don't want to spend hundreds of $$ and nothing to show for it really....

Wanted to scream, tried to rework with her, haven't heard back yet....I guess we'll see. icon_rolleyes.gif

three_sets_of_twins Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 6:32am
post #6 of 22

"NOTHING" to show for it? excuse me, these cakes are works of art. youre going to have a gorgeous cake to show for it and she better take lots of photos for it too!!
Panda, LOL, I dunno?
she just came up with that on her own. instead of wanting 1 large cupcake tower with 200 alternating red and white cupcakes, she wanted 2 towers each with 100 cupcakes. maybe she thought she'd save money that way? who knows. ugh.
been working on the frosting all night and my kitchen looks like someone was hacked to death in there LOL. red food coloring everywhere!!! I posted in another post about not being able to find anything but liquid grocery store food coloring, but I happened to come across a powdered version that gave me a good deep red. Did put a little bitter taste in it though I think. but not too overpowering, I didnt use a lot.

cylstrial Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 1:10pm
post #7 of 22

Both of those stories sound terrible. How long does it take to make up your mind about the color of cupcakes? And then later the flavor?

And I hate when I read about customers who try to talk people it's negotiable or something. I'm sorry, do I look like I'm standing at a flea market?

And then the woman wanting all the pictures and the cards? Ridiculous! You should have charged extra for the cards. I'm glad that it's over!

2508s42 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 1:21pm
post #8 of 22

My favorite is when they throw in the word "simple" like suddenly I am going to make the price lower because it is "simple". Well, I still have to have ingredients. DUH.

artscallion Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 1:43pm
post #9 of 22

I HATE those requests for the step by step photo documentation of the whole process. I try to brush those requests off by telling them I'm not really set up to do that, but to "trust me. I do very nice work." If that doesn't work, I tell them my camera is on the fritz.

It's a frinkin' cupcake bouquet! It's not like I'm building your house and need to showi you carpet samples before I install them!

Mensch Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 4:31pm
post #10 of 22

What a great thread!

robinscakes Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 4:42pm
post #11 of 22

Kind of makes you a little bit understanding of those people who offer several different styles of cookies, cakes, etc. and say you can choose style #1, #2, #3, etc. No customizing. Certainly limits your customers choices, but I bet it saves headaches.

__Jamie__ Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 5:05pm
post #12 of 22

Oh, I'm so sorry, for some reason, your e-mails started going into my spam folder! Shucky darn! Your order is now ready! icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 11:55pm
post #13 of 22
Originally Posted by artscallion

I HATE those requests for the step by step photo documentation of the whole process.

wow, in 30 years I've never had this request. what TV show are people watching to make them think this is a normal request? icon_confused.gif

three_sets_of_twins Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 5:54am
post #14 of 22

I dont think it's really TV, but I think with the latest technologies with mms, sms , digital photos bla bla bla, they dont understand whats the big deal in me "mms"ing (multimedia messaging) them pictures so they can see it as Im working on it. I did it a couple times but now I refuse to do this cos
1- its demeaning, just trust me. I feel like im taking a test or something
2- youre costing me to send you those mms
3- when you are in the beginning, middle, or NEAR end of any project, it still doesnt look anything like it will once you do those finishing touches.
4- i dont want you complaining about what color ribbon I used or frosting I used. You told me pink, not neon pink, not frosty pink, not pastelle pink, you just said pink.

Well I delivered the cookie pop bouquet and she said her friend gave rave reveiws, so thats good. Over on this side of the globe, cupcake bouquets and cookie pop bouquets, and even my cake balls, are something that have never been seen before or heard of before, so theyre kinda what put me on the map.
The woman wanting the cupcake tower LOL God people just dont understand all the tools and all the work. I bet she just thinks I'm makin some cupcakes and slabbin some frosting on them. I'm going to have to go to her wedding a few hours early with my assistant and set up the whole thing there, I've turned it into an entire display.
Now Im trying to get hold of the supermarket to see if theyve reserved the 350 strawberries I want for her tuxedo brides and grooms. If he says no someones ending up in the morgue. Ive been callin him every day this week to remind him. lets hope I dont end up in jail today.

jamalyn1 Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 6:17am
post #15 of 22

oh my... " if it's really so simple then you can do it yourself!" The nerve of some people. lol. You are paying for a service because it's not something you can do you goobers! I get so frustrated reading these posts and I don't even have customers yet.. just family and friends lol. I sure am not looking forward to the customer thing when I do go into business someday.

three_sets_of_twins Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 8:43am
post #16 of 22

lol please dont let these posts intimidate you, Ive spent what must be days reading through all the nightmare customers. But the majority of them have been real good, and real pleased. Ive had a couple unsatisfied customers but out of the hundreds of satisfied ones you just have to let the others go and forget about them. A lot of them can be nightmares, I assume the one with the cookie pop bouquet was just real excited knowing she was going to have this surprise delivered to her friend (another service only I do) so she's got the "new trend" and is wanting to show off.
I had one woman order that cake ball tray from me in the pics. shes a returning customer. She was and is an amazing customer. Gives me praise and always compliments my work and emails me letting me know know everyone liked it. but when it is delivery time she is the type who calls every 2 minutes (even when it isnt late?) to ask where I am. I did have to tell her once that calling me and distracting me from the work isnt going to get her cake to her any quicker.
Some people do think that way! that its so simple. they even think the REASON theyre asking you to it is because they just cant take the precious time out of their oh so busy lives to do it.
Those ones just dont bother with. I try to find the ones that like and appriciate my work, and stick with them. If I do work with the more annoying ones its just cos I might need the money lol.

2508s42 Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 1:11pm
post #17 of 22

I had one bride call me the day of her wedding and tell me she doesn't like fondant, and could I please take it off of her cake. (it was scheduled to be delivered in about 2 hours) I was like, um, no. the cake is finished and ready to be delivered. She said well, can't you just take if off and use it for a different cake? I told her that if she didn't like the taste or texture, then she could choose not to eat the fondant, as there was icing underneath it, but that the cake was completely finished, I was working on other cakes, and if she INSISTED that I take it off (I also reminded her that the fondant was in her original design) then she would still have to pay for it, since it is wasted now, I can't re-use it, plus she would have to pay an extra $100 because of the extra work and the putting me behind schedule with the other wedding cake I was working on. After I told her that, she said never mind, they just wouldn't eat it.

So then I deliver the cake personally, everyone raves, I take a picture... after the wedding, she tries to tell me the cake fell and she needs a re-fund. I asked her if she had photos or proof that it fell and she said no. I told her I didn't understand how it could have fallen since it had a special support system (sps) in it that is known for strength and stability, and without some kind of picture or something, I was going to be unable to refund anything. She said never mind.

Well, then someone else came for a consult and told me they got my informatino from that bride, I asked if the cake fell, adn they said no, but that she said she was trying to get a free cake!!!!!

This is the only time this has happened. icon_smile.gif

three_sets_of_twins Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 1:24pm
post #18 of 22

my god the lengths people will go through?? I havent had that happen to me yet. ugh. mostly with me its trying for even more discounts (other than the 10% I give sometimes) .

scoobydid Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 1:37pm
post #19 of 22

Your description of a cupcake tower using a styrofoam cone is a picture I can not get into my head this morning. Maybe it's too early for me. Do you have a photo of this? It sounds like a neat idea. Thanks.

three_sets_of_twins Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 3:46pm
post #20 of 22

I've been trying for the last 20 min to google image something that looks anywhere near what im talking about. the closest thing I can find is this:

but no berries or fruit, just cupcakes and butterflies and some fabrics and beads.

erinalicia Posted 17 Jul 2009 , 1:25am
post #21 of 22

that's a cool idea! Wish I had something coming up so I could try it out.

three_sets_of_twins Posted 18 Jul 2009 , 7:59am
post #22 of 22

well everything went as planned thank god with just a few complications, I put a picture in my gallery if anyone wants to see. im no wehere near as skillfull as you guys but im proud of it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%