Help With Chocolate Wrap Cake

Decorating By chocolatestone Updated 14 Jul 2009 , 12:30pm by chocolatestone

chocolatestone Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 8:32am
post #1 of 6

I will be making this cake for a wedding next month and I just have a few questions about assembly.

How do you pile the chocolate balls onto the cake. I will be using hollow chocolate balls and I'm worried they will just roll off when I move the cake.

Also the chocolate rectangles how long should I leave them before attaching them to the cake. I tried this a while back and I thought that the chocolate had set enough but when I placed them on the cake they went all soft and sought of wilted on the sides of the cake. I had to remove them and chuck them away.

How would you store this cake. I was thinking of decorating it the day before the wedding and I was wondering if it would be fine to just leave it on the counter. Will it sweat if refrigerate it and how would that affect the look of the cake.

The cake will be red velvet filled cream cheese frosting and covered in dark chocolate ganache. It will be made up of 11", 9" and 7" round cakes. The tiers will be free floating so I don't have to worry about stacking. Thank goodness.

Just as a matter of interest if I were covering the cake with cream cheese frosting would I be "attach" the chocolate rectangles easily on the sides of the cake?

Any other tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch.
LL

5 replies
Cakechick123 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 11:31am
post #2 of 6

hi fellow SA icon_smile.gif
I would leave the truffles off until the setup at the site. That way they wont roll around

I found with the slabs that our weather def makes them very soft. If ur going to do it in the next couple of weeks, I wont worry too much, but doing it in the summer I put the cakes in the fridge.
Ive never worked with cream cheese filling before so Im not sure if the slabs will stay on the cake. The ganache will def keep them on, if you add the slabs before the ganache sets too hard.
HTH!

chocolatestone Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 12:28pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks Riana the wedding is actually in 3 weeks time so it will still be cool thank goodness. Finishing off the cake at the venue is a good idea. Thanks a bunch.

chocolatestone Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 12:29pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks Riana the wedding is actually in 3 weeks time so it will still be cool thank goodness. Finishing off the cake at the venue is a good idea. Thanks a bunch.

chocolatestone Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 12:29pm
post #5 of 6

chocolatestone Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 12:30pm
post #6 of 6

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%