Help With Chocolate Wrap Cake

Decorating By chocolatestone Updated 15 Jul 2009 , 10:55am by chocolatestone

chocolatestone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolatestone Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 8:30am
post #1 of 3

I will be making this cake for a wedding next month and I just have a few questions about assembly.

How do you pile the chocolate balls onto the cake. I will be using hollow chocolate balls and I'm worried they will just roll off when I move the cake.

Also the chocolate rectangles how long should I leave them before attaching them to the cake. I tried this a while back and I thought that the chocolate had set enough but when I placed them on the cake they went all soft and sought of wilted on the sides of the cake. I had to remove them and chuck them away.

How would you store this cake. I was thinking of decorating it the day before the wedding and I was wondering if it would be fine to just leave it on the counter. Will it sweat if refrigerate it and how would that affect the look of the cake.

The cake will be red velvet filled cream cheese frosting and covered in dark chocolate ganache. It will be made up of 11", 9" and 7" round cakes. The tiers will be free floating so I don't have to worry about stacking. Thank goodness.

Just as a matter of interest if I were covering the cake with cream cheese frosting would I be "attach" the chocolate rectangles easily on the sides of the cake?

Any other tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch.
LL

2 replies
Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 10:44am
post #2 of 3

I have never even attempted a cake like this, so I can't give advice, just suggestions or ideas.
icon_wink.gif

If you are worried about the balls shifting, why not use piping gel or even Karo syrup as a glue and apply with a paint brush? That way, they don't dry rock hard stuck to each other and can be easily moved and served. I am sure everyone is going to want at least 1 ball with their piece of cake...

Whenever I work with chocolate that has to be hard, I always refrigerate or freeze it, to get it hard. Then I pop it out of my molds. -- For you, I would make sure to put them in the fridge to harden the plaques.

The cream cheese must be refrigerated. Not sure about what will happen to the chocolate. If they do sweat, they will eventually dry once they return to room temp.

I'm sure one of our experts can give you more firm answers.

chocolatestone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolatestone Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 10:55am
post #3 of 3

Thanks a lot. I would have never thought of piping gel. I'm going to do a trial run for this cake. I can't wait. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%