Can Someone Help Me With My Gum Paste Guy?

Decorating By morrisaz2004 Updated 14 Jul 2009 , 11:17pm by ceshell

morrisaz2004 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 5:14am
post #1 of 5

Okay, so this is my first gum paste figure and I got the head and the top half of the body finished, minus the arms. I've tried using "glue" to make them stay on, but they just fall off. Even cut up toothpicks don't seem to do the trick. I think I'm missing a step here. Should I have done the body and then attached the shirt over it? I'm a little new to all of this, so any help would be appreciated. I've attached a photo of what I have so far. I know that the little guy isn't perfect, but I'd love for him not to be armless. icon_sad.gif I guess I'll worry about his pants/legs tomorrow. Thanks for help, in advance.
LL

4 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 5:45am
post #2 of 5

He's very cute. Sometimes it helps to make an indentation in the sleeve and then stick the arm in, so it has more to attach itself to. Also, prop the arms up in the position that you want them...you can use balled-up plastic wrap for that.

ceshell Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 5:57am
post #3 of 5

Gum glue might not be strong enough since it's such a thin layer. If you don't have indentations to help support the arms as Texas_Rose suggests, I recommend using a small ball of gumpaste that you've wetted...kind of like a wad of gum glue if you will. Prop to support to dry as T_R suggests. For added support,you can add a cuff around the sleeve, stuck down with gum glue. The cuff will kind of act like a nice big piece of tape once it's dry and the cuff and will also obscure the wad of gum glue. Use the toothpick too (how deep are the toothpick holes?)

morrisaz2004 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 3:10pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the help. I'll try a small ball of gum paste and see if I can get it to work. I like the serran wrap ball idea too! I appreciate the advice.

ceshell Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 11:17pm
post #5 of 5

Good luck! BTW ere's a pic of how I used cuffs to keep arms & legs on a figurehttp://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1322181 - fortunately the character actually HAS cuffs on his clothes so it worked perfect w/the design icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%