Need Advice On An Iffy Cake, Please.

Decorating By Win Updated 16 Jul 2009 , 12:12am by beachcakes

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 5:07am
post #1 of 8

Hey there! I'm working on an anniversary cake for Wednesday. I made the bottom tier from The Cake Mix Doctor's Darn Good Chocolate Cake. I've made it a thousand times, mind you. I baked it in the three inch pan. Tonight, I leveled, torted, and filled it. Here's the problem I've come up with. It feels (for lack of a better word) "soft." It torted beautifully --nice and dense as this cake tends to be, was level to a "T" but, seemingly, lost something in the overall stability during the crumb coat. I also used a filling I've used many times, so I was not experimenting with anything new or different. It was not warm (was baked and frozen previously) so that's not an issue. I've put it back in the fridge to chill overnight, but am concerned that when I go to assemble and decorate tomorrow the bottom tier is going to give me problems --especially since that is the last time it will be refrigerated until it is served. (Sorry for the long prelude, but I'm heading for bed and won't check back until morning so wanted to cover any questions you might ask.)

Here's my question. Will my cake which is the bottom tier of two (10" and 8") support the top one (and, yes, I always support with dowels and a central dowel) once it is all assembled? I'm really concerned because this will be traveling about two hours out of town. I'm making it for a friend, she is the one transporting it, and I'd die if it should just decide to collapse under the overall weight. Am I just being paranoid? If not, what would you suggest I do to make sure this does not become a follow up story in the Disaster Forum?

7 replies
Win Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 4:44pm
post #2 of 8

I didn't get any replies to this plea, so I'm going with my gut and simply rebaking the cake. I just don't trust the one I have. It will put me behind a few hours or so on my agenda and is not my ideal way of doing things, but I'm willing to bet it turns out more stable than my first cake. Gut wins --which is probably all the advice I really ever needed anyway. icon_lol.gif

jardot22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jardot22 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 4:52pm
post #3 of 8

I personally think it would be fine - I mean really, the bottom cake would not actually be supporting the top cake anyway, your support system would be keeping the weight off of the bottom cake. But going with your gut is usually the best thing anyways icon_smile.gif Good luck!

Win Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 5:02pm
post #4 of 8

In the light of the day, it has a small slant to it and the bubble is not sitting center in the level. I could probably shim it, but would hate for it to be the cake I guessed wrong on. Thanks!

Win Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 1:49pm
post #5 of 8

I'm sooo glad I made the choice to rebake my bottom cake. The resulting cake is linked below. My family started in on the one I rejected which tasted yummy, but truly did look a little like an "accidental topsy turvy tier."

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1415352

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 2:18pm
post #6 of 8

That cake is just beautiful.. Love the flowers. What did you make them out of? And how did you color the centers.

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 2:18pm
post #7 of 8

That cake is just beautiful.. Love the flowers. What did you make them out of? And how did you color the centers.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 12:12am
post #8 of 8

Win, your cake is gorgeous, as usual!! And I'd swear those daisies were real! Glad you rebaked - sometimes you just have to go with your gut! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%