Pricing.........again!

Business By makeminepink Updated 14 Jul 2009 , 3:49pm by FromScratch

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 3:53am
post #1 of 7

I'd like opinions. What would you charge for an 8" fondant covered cake and 30 cupcakes with buttercream and a fondant daisy--- similar to the one in my photos? According to Earlene's chart, the cake will serve 15 and then the cupcakes--- 30 = 45 servings. I was going to charge $90, does that sound way out of line? Thanks for your very kind assistance! icon_smile.gif

6 replies
Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 4:15am
post #2 of 7

It doesn't sound out of line at all! $2 a serving is a great price, and I'm sure some of the other CCers will get on here and tell you "CHARGE MORE!!!!" LOL I just looked at your pics and you do GREAT work! Don't underprice yourself! I understand, though, I have trouble pricing much higher.

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 9:12am
post #3 of 7

Wilton Party size chart has that 8" at 20 servings + 30 cc is 50 servings ... So even at 2.00 a serving I get $100. I personally think that is not enough I get $3.00 each for cc with a decoration and $4.00 / serving for fondant covered cakes.. So by my prices that order would be $170

I have an order for next weekend ... an 8" washtub cake with a wilton ball pan for a baby head in the washtub, and 50 cupcakes 1/2 with fondant rubber duckies 1/2 with bars of soap.

That order came to $375....!

Your cakes are gorgeous and I think your work is worth more than $2.00 a serving !

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 1:50pm
post #4 of 7

First, throw away Earlene's chart. It will cause you to give away too much cake. The Wilton charts are the standards in the biz. Yaknow why? Because they work! They provide plenty of cake and you will make more money.

Now I make wedding cakes and an 8" cake serves 24. Fondant is $4 per serving, so the cake is $96. Cupcakes with fondant work, any fondant work, $3.25 each. (All my cupcakes are filled.) $97.50 for the cupcakes. I'd have a small equipment ee to cover the board under the cake and the boxes for the cupcakes, so maybe $5. Total = $198.50

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 2:05pm
post #5 of 7

If you are not charging between $175 - $200 you are nuts. $2 a serving is give away pricing. Let me put it to you this way. AT those prices I would order from you and sell to other people at regular pricing and just have you do all the work. Remember, you are the producer, wholesaler, and retailer all in one. Get the right mark-up or keep giving your work away for free.

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 2:46pm
post #6 of 7

well....................wow! I appreciate your input. The woman actually didn't call me back at the $90 price I quoted. I don't know if she didn't call back because of the price or because I suggested she do something other than what she originally asked for. Let me give you the whole story............
I have just recently started baking cakes at my daughter's coffee shop. Talk about an opportunity! I haven't done any decorating for the public in years and was trying to get my pricing straight in my head before I get going. Someone called the shop yesterday and said she heard we do cakes. She said she had a "design" ( uh oh! ) for a wedding shower cake. She had actually already ordered a cake from a place 50 miles from here, but thought it would be more convenient to pick it up here-- where the shower is being held. I asked her if she had an invitation or a picture to go by. She emailed me a picture off the internet-- a wedding cake, but wanted it done as a sheet cake. Because I wasn't comfortable doing fondant stripes up the side of a sheet cake, I suggested a small round cake and cupcakes decorated similar to the picture she showed me. I included a picture of my cake that I had done previously (the one with the round cake and cupcakes). I quoted a price of $90. I didn't hear back. I really don't care. I've done enough cakes and cookies to realize that when you're in the middle of it, you think, "Why did I say I'd do this for x amount?!" I'm willing to bet she has no idea of the difference between fondant and buttercream and that she didn't even show the other place the picture. Like I said, I really don't care that I didn't get the order! Is that terrible? Thanks so much for listening. I love how helpful and kind everyone is on here.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 3:49pm
post #7 of 7

It's not terrible at all... be glad. icon_biggrin.gif

I start cakes at $5/serving and cupcakes at $3.00 each... add $.25 each for a simple cut out flower and more if it was a formed flower. I would have charged more for just the 8" than you were going to charge for the whole order.

Don't sell yourself short! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%