Help! Making Modeling Chocolate Right Now...

Sugar Work By djs328 Updated 14 Jul 2009 , 4:58am by djs328

djs328 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 2:43am
post #1 of 10

I am using the corn syrup and chocolate wafers to make modeling chocolate. (14 oz choc + 1/3 c corn syrup) and it appears to be separating...like the fat/grease from the chocolate is coming out, liquid-like. Is this supposed to happen? Recipe says to let harden overnight, wrapped tightly. Do I put the liquid in with it?
It looks very weird to me...

Thanks!!!

9 replies
djs328 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 3:34am
post #2 of 10

Does anyone know what's up with this? icon_sad.gif

OhMyGanache Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 3:42am
post #3 of 10

I'm confused... the chocolate is separating before you add the corn syrup or after?

When I make it, it takes a lot of stirring to come together.

cutthecake Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 3:43am
post #4 of 10

Don't panic. It should get better after it sits overnight. It should be hard in the morning, and when you try to work it, it will feel wet again. Sometimes I blot up some of the liquid with a paper towel.

Renaejrk Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 3:48am
post #5 of 10

I've made it before and it didn't do that, it did take a while for it to all come together though. I'm wondering if it's because they've changed the consistency of corn syrup and it has more liquid in it? We have been having problems with MFF because it uses a cup of corn syrup per batch and our fondant is falling apart.

Bunsen Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 3:48am
post #6 of 10

I've tried 2 different recipes for modelling choc, one where you add water (as well as syrup) and it sets up ok but was a nightmare to use as it was so hard... The other where you stand and squeeze the oil out - this worked but I had aching hands for 2 days afterwards (and it wasn't much easier to work with either).

So I am now at the point where I want to know where you can buy modelling choc ready made that's easy to knead!!

As for the batch you are making now, pull off golf ball sized pieces and squeeze it until it leaches all the oil and becomes smooth and you will be able to use it.

poohthebear Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 4:09am
post #7 of 10

I work with modeling chocolate alot. Yes the liquid is normal . I just knead and pour out over the sink then lay it out on parchment paper or a sheet pan then I blot more of the coco oil off. Not all of the liquid will come out but try and get as much off as possible. Then wrap it in plastic and let it set for at least a couple of hours if not over night.
It will be hard and if you have a hard time kneading it, after setting, I cut off chunk and place on a paper plate and nuke it for about 8 seconds. It works great for me.

djs328 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 4:32am
post #8 of 10

Thanks everyone...I did stick it in the fridge for a couple of minutes, and then I did blot it with a paper towel and kept kneading it....it seemed to come together - I love the look of fondant but personally I don't like to eat it...and everyone loves chocolate, so figured I'd try this out. I don't know how anyone works with this to cover a cake...wow - that's talent! I'm just doing some fun polka dots and playing around to maybe do a bow...we'll see! Don't know if I have the patience to do a whole cake with this! I'll see how my dots & bows turn out, first! LOL!

Good night folks! icon_smile.gif Thanks again!

poohthebear Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 4:54am
post #9 of 10

Ever tried rolled buttercream?

djs328 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 4:58am
post #10 of 10

hmm....no, but considered it on a couple of occasions - do you have better luck with that? Any favorite recipes, poothebear?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%