Bubble Tea Straws

Decorating By lecrn Updated 24 Jul 2009 , 10:28pm by Butterpatty

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 2:30am
post #1 of 29

I use bubble tea straws as support for my tiered cakes. I used to get the straws from Boba Tea Direct, but the shipping is expensive. I found some on ebay that a lot cheaper even though they were shipped from Thailand. When I got them today, they seemed thinner than the Boba straws.
For those of you that use these, do you think I can use the thinner straws?
Thanks.

28 replies
tonicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonicake Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 2:39am
post #2 of 29

I use the Boba Tea Straws. Before Boba, I used regular straws (just a whole bunch of them), so maybe. I would probably do a "test" run before I sent them out in an order.

That's about all I have. Sorry. Maybe someone else has gotten the thinner straws and had success. Hang in there.

Toni

lecrn Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 12:27pm
post #3 of 29

Thanks Toni.
The straws feel like regular straws. Surely someone on here has used them as much as I've heard of people getting them off ebay. There's not that many bubble tea straw sellers.

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 1:53pm
post #4 of 29

Do you have an oriental market or store in the area? That's where i found my bubble tea straws..really cheap and no shipping.;0)
In the past i have used regular straws, just used lots of them..never had a cake fall. I feel much better using bubble teas. They definitely feel stronger.

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 2:06pm
post #5 of 29

I use Sam's club straws. They are larger than the regular ones but not quite as big as the tea straws. They work good for the not so big stacked cakes. If you do use them for large cakes use LOTS of them. icon_biggrin.gif

mareg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareg Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 2:07pm
post #6 of 29

I use Sam's club straws. They are larger than the regular ones but not quite as big as the tea straws. They work good for the not so big stacked cakes. If you do use them for large cakes use LOTS of them. icon_biggrin.gif

klallen21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klallen21 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 3:02pm
post #7 of 29

never heard of using straws...good idea! I've always used wooden dowels.

lecrn Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 4:09pm
post #8 of 29

[quote="sweetcravings"]Do you have an oriental market or store in the area? That's where i found my bubble tea straws..really cheap and no shipping.;0)

Yes, I do have one. When I went in to ask if they had them, no one spoke English. I waited 15min to speak to the manager who was rudely on her cp & never even looked @ me.
I'll try to attach a pic of the straws for those who haven't used them. Maybe someone will recognize the package & can tell me if they've used them before.
LL

tonicake Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 4:45pm
post #9 of 29

Those look just like what I use. I ordered my on line and paid minimal shipping. It was worth it. They work well and last quite a while.

I may see if our local Asian market carries them and save the shipping as well.

Thanks for the idea.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 4:48pm
post #10 of 29

Here's where you should buy your straws from: http://cgi.ebay.com/172-Giant-Boba-milk-Tea-straws-smoothie-Thai-Bubble_W0QQitemZ320358525061QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4a96db2885&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

I did, after "katiekatiekatie" posted the link...I received them in 4 days (from California) and posted that they were slightly sturdier than the ones I already had from another site.
Btw, those other ones cost me (w/shipping), close to ten bucks, and I only got 50!
This ebay deal is amazing...the price actually was 2.99 when I ordered, and a little over 8 bucks shipping, so it's an even better deal now!!

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 7:22pm
post #11 of 29

sorry to hear you had such problems with that shop.
If those are the straws you were concerned about..i wouldn't worry. They look just like the ones i use, and are plenty strong.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 8:50pm
post #12 of 29

Trying ordering them on Amazon too. If I read this description right, it's 2400 straws for $21.36.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015ZP16M/?tag=cakecentral-20

FlourPots Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 9:11pm
post #13 of 29

Wow, that would've been awesome, but I don't think those are bubble straws (the diameter isn't 1/2")

That doesn't mean they won't work though, I know people have had success using the fat straws from McDonald's.

lecrn Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 10:59pm
post #14 of 29

[quote="tonicake"]Those look just like what I use. I ordered my on line and paid minimal shipping. It was worth it. They work well and last quite a while.

Thanks! I feel better about using them. I paid $5 for them including shipping. It took about 10 days to get them bc it was shipped from Thailand.
Next time I'll probably use the seller from California.
Thanks everyone.

bbstephan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbstephan Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 3:15am
post #15 of 29

I'm SO nervous to try these straws! Do they really work for heavy cakes?

I'm so tired of cutting plastic tubes and wooden towels and them never being even in height...

tonicake Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 3:31am
post #16 of 29

Don't worry about the straws. In Sugar Shacks last video, she has the best suggestions and tips. If you have a seam gauge, put in into the cake and slide the center to the top of your icing. When you take it out you will have an exact measurement to cut your straws. Be sure to cut the ends before you cut for size. They are not very even. Like Sharon said in her video, just let the part that you cut off - fly! When you are finished and cleaning up, then you can pick up the pieces from around the room. It kind of makes me smile when they go flying.

I hope this helps. No worries!

bbstephan Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 12:12pm
post #17 of 29

Okay, thanks, I'll try them! Is their a general estimate of how many to put per tier, say, a 12" or 14"? Or is there someplace I can find this information? I tend to go overboard, even with the wooden dowels...

lecrn Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 12:23pm
post #18 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbstephan

Okay, thanks, I'll try them! Is their a general estimate of how many to put per tier, say, a 12" or 14"? Or is there someplace I can find this information? I tend to go overboard, even with the wooden dowels...

They really work, and they're really easy to cut! I just place them every 2 inches. I would suggest that you still use a wooden dowel through the center of all the tiers if you are transporting the cake assembled.

tonicake Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 3:12pm
post #19 of 29

I do exactly what lecrn does.

If I do a cake w/more than 3 tiers, I actually us 2 dowels. One through the bottom two (off center), then a second through the entire cake (center).

Toni

bbstephan Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 3:37pm
post #20 of 29

I'm definitely going to try it. Can you transport a three tier in a vehicle that have heavy cakes with this method? (10, 12, 14"). Based on what you have written, I would say your answer would be yes, but I think I just need to see it confirmed!

tonicake Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 5:14pm
post #21 of 29

Yes, I did just that this month. A 5 tier wedding cake assembled and I had zero problems. The delivery was 40 - 45 min. away.

bbstephan Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 5:18pm
post #22 of 29

Excellent- thank you SO much!

tonicake Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 5:39pm
post #23 of 29

You're welcome. Be sure to let us know how it goes.

mommy2sweetpeas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy2sweetpeas Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 5:31pm
post #24 of 29

I just ordered my first set of bubble tea straws....it cost me $7.09 for 45-50 of them....not sure if that's a good/bad deal. I can't wait to get them and test them out!

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 6:49pm
post #25 of 29

mommy2, can you please share where you got yours from? I think that's a great price.
Thanks.

mommy2sweetpeas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommy2sweetpeas Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 6:55pm
post #26 of 29

bobateadirect.com was where i ordered from....i already got an email saying they are on their way!

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 6:59pm
post #27 of 29

wow! Thanks so much!!

FlourPots Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 8:46pm
post #28 of 29

Did you see the link I posted on page 1 of this thread??

172 straws for $9.98

Butterpatty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterpatty Posted 24 Jul 2009 , 10:28pm
post #29 of 29

I am just a newbie, but after hearing about these straws here, I found them at my local Asian supermarket for 79 cents for a package of 50. They are very sturdy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%