Square Wedding Cake (3 Or 4 Tier) To Serve 200

Decorating By erinalicia Updated 14 Jul 2009 , 4:54pm by brincess_b

erinalicia Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 2:10am
post #1 of 11

A friend asked me to do her wedding cake. At first she wanted it for 250 people. She wants square cakes stacked with Wilton's globe pillars in between the tiers. I had figured I would use a 14-12-10-8. Now she's asking to decrease it down to 200 servings. I know that the 10" will serve 50 so it would be easy to just take that one out, but how would it look proportion wise as a 14-12-8?

Thanks!

10 replies
indydebi Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 2:30am
post #2 of 11

With the ball spacers between them, the 2" difference between the 2 bottom tiers won't be as noticeable as if they were stacked, so I think it will be fine.

This is a 8/12/14 (bottom 3 tiers) stacked. http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1179060 I think the proportions look ok and with the spacing between yours, it will look even better.

erinalicia Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 3:28am
post #3 of 11

Thanks Debi! I sketched it out using photoshop and I think it looks okay. I don't care for her colors, but that's just me. Here's the sketch-

A question about the monogram, though... is the groom's initial first or the bride's?

indydebi Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 3:32am
post #4 of 11

When it comes to monograms, I just ask them what order they want them. And to the couples who ask me "how are they suppose to go?", I tell them that I dont' know what the rule is, I just go by whatever they want.

erinalicia Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 3:58am
post #5 of 11

Thanks! She's changing the color arrangement now and has decided on just the white globes instead of the colored ones. Man, this is a headache! I don't know how you all do it on a daily basis! Kudos to you! icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 4:25am
post #6 of 11

I think on monograms, traditionally it is the Hubby's initial, Last name initial then the Bride's. That is how I have always seen it. I just look at it as it is always Mr. and Mrs., rather than Mrs. and Mr. So and So.

lardbutt Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 2:52pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

I think on monograms, traditionally it is the Hubby's initial, Last name initial then the Bride's. That is how I have always seen it. I just look at it as it is always Mr. and Mrs., rather than Mrs. and Mr. So and So.

That's exactly what I thought too, but every source I looked at online told me the bride's initial came first....so that's what I did this weedend! I can just imagine all the people looking at it and comment on how stupid the decorator must be! icon_lol.gif But the bride had no idea either so I guess she won't care.

klallen21 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 3:00pm
post #8 of 11

I've always done the monograms hubby, last, wife....but you can always ask them icon_smile.gif I think the cake proportions will look nice.

pianocat Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 3:17pm
post #9 of 11

FWIW I have always seen bride, last, groom. Not sure on the etiquette.

erinalicia Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 4:43pm
post #10 of 11

thanks for the input. i have it groom, last, bride... she hasn't said she wanted it differently, but I'll ask her.

brincess_b Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 4:54pm
post #11 of 11

alway check for what it spells too, ive got friends who monogrammed their invite, bride then groom. doing it groom then bride would have had hiliarious and dodgy conotations!
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%