Get Responses To My Posts

Decorating By Kiki74 Updated 14 Jul 2009 , 11:31am by cylstrial

Kiki74 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 1:08am
post #1 of 7

I have learned alot by reading through the forums. The recipes are wonderful and the gallery pics are just beautiful. The problem that I am having is that I can't seem to get more than one person to respond to my questions. Don't get me wrong, the answers I am getting are truly helpful and I appreciate them but I was hoping for a few different opinions. Am I posting wrong, or is it because I'm a newbie here? You guys have so much experience and I am only hoping that someday I will be as talented as most of you. Please don't think I'm complaining. I love this site! I just wondered if I am posting in the wrong forums or not asking the right questions?

6 replies
CrazyCakes13 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 1:20am
post #2 of 7

Not sure, but maybe your subject lines are unclear? I find that when my subj. lines are too wordy or aren't clear, I don't get much of a response. Just a suggestion! Otherwise, I'm certain it's not on purpose. There's just so many posts on here! lol. Good luck, hope you get the responses you're looking for icon_smile.gif

CanadianCakin Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 1:22am
post #3 of 7

Don't get discouraged! I was looking through all your posts and some have had great responses and some have only had a few if you look through mine it's the same thing!
I think what it is is somethings I learned this the hard way to is some questions us newer to cake decorating folks have have been answered hundreds of times over! I think people just get, for lack of a better word, tired of answering the same questions over and over.....for example I am sure questions about BC roses have been asked millions of times!
One thing I started to do before I ask a question is search the forums for the topic and read through those first to see if I can answer my question that why and 9 times out of 10 I find that my exact question has already been asked....sometimes my question is truely specific and that when I find I get a lot of helpful responses!

I really hope this helps, please don't let this discourage you from CC there is a wealth of info here to be shared that has helped me come a very long way!! I'm sure will help you too icon_smile.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 1:25am
post #4 of 7

kiki -

What you might not realize is that we have over 200,000 members here, and that questions, pictures, anything on the homepage circulates, can be bounced off as fast as it gets on.

Not everyone goes into the forums section to read the posts of the day. Many just read what's on the homepage, and go from there.

There's even a feature there that allows you to see what threads/posts have been written since your last visit, but how many of us actually use it?
Who knows.

And then, there's the time of day factor. I'm not normally awake at 3 AM, to see how much is being posted from the other side of our planet, but if you're in the US, probably the best time to circulate your question is to post it after 3 pm Eastern Time. Then your question will more than likely be at the top of the list, when someone does go into the daily threads and postings.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

JodieF Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 1:29am
post #5 of 7

I did a quick look through all your posts and it seems that you got 3 or more replies for each one. It certainly wouldn't be because you're new here. I think people take special care to answer new members.

There are probably many, many reasons for not getting many replies in general (and I'm not pointing specifically at any of your threads). Sometimes the thread title is very vague, like "help" or "wasc" or "smbc" and there are folks who just don't even go into those threads. Sometimes people have answered those same questions over and over and over already, and wish the poster had done a search before creating a new topic asking the same question that had been posted 500 times already. Sometimes folks have limited time on here, and so are more picky about what threads they answer. Sometimes they go into a thread and think the 3 answers given pretty much cover things and they have nothing to add. AND, sometimes that just seems to be the way it works out! icon_lol.gif

Keep posting and welcome!

Kiki74 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 10:56am
post #6 of 7

Thanks for all the great advice and encouragement. thumbs_up.gif I will try to search through the forums to get the answers I need. I have used the search feature before but it was difficult to find some of the things I wanted. And for some reason when I check certain threads to watch, they uncheck themselves and disappear. detective.gif Go figure!

Thanks to all you great CC'ers out there! icon_wink.gif

cylstrial Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 11:31am
post #7 of 7

Sometimes people click on on your thread to see if they can learn something. And so they really don't have anything to add. Or maybe they think they can answer the question, and then they get in there and they can't. Don't worry! Just ask your question again. You could probably PM most people on here and get an answer if you get really desperate. =0)

Quote by @%username% on %date%