Figurines

Decorating By lilboo529 Updated 16 Jul 2009 , 12:57pm by cylstrial

lilboo529 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilboo529 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 11:07pm
post #1 of 10

how far in advance do you make the figurines that you are going to put on top of a cake? i am going to try my first one ever for a cake i have due friday...thanks in advance

9 replies
JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 12:14am
post #2 of 10

I have 2 cakes due this Saturday and I am starting on the figures today...

The figures aren't usually eaten and need plenty of time to dry.. Are you using Fondant or Gumpaste or a 50/50 mix?

I have gumpaste flowers stored in Plastic sterilite shoe boxes that I made months ago...

LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 12:22am
post #3 of 10

I make my figures as far ahead as possible. The drying time depends on the size of the figure and the humidity (they dry slower in damp weather). Normally, I allow at least 2 days to dry.

You can make your figures weeks or even months ahead of time. Just store them in a dry, covered container and they will keep forever. I have some figures that I made 2 years ago, and they are still in absolutely perfect condition.

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 12:28am
post #4 of 10

At least 4-5 days, and sometimes a week or more, depending on how large the figure is. If its a small one then you can get by with a couple of days, but a large one wont dry in enough time.

Make sure that you use either 50 50 GP and fondant or fondant with tylose. (I prefer the latter) They dry better and faster that just fondant, and are easier to work with than just GP.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 12:33am
post #5 of 10

I second Jayde. I had to make my tiger in two days for a grooms cake and I did fondant with tylose and it was perfect to airbrush a day later and totally dry and hard by the time I delivered it on Thursday afternoon. Gumpast alone will just crumble or take longer to dry.

lilboo529 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilboo529 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 3:07am
post #6 of 10

thank you so much where do you get the tylose powder?

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 12:49am
post #7 of 10

I order mine online, but you can find it at Michael's or Hobby Lobby I believe.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 12:58am
post #8 of 10

One of the great things about gumpaste/fondant figures is that they last for a long time. So you can make them way in advance and not have to feel the pressure of having to make them when you make the cake.

I normally make them on Monday or Tuesday.

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 15 Jul 2009 , 5:10am
post #9 of 10

I am not sure about Hobby Lobby (we don't have those here) But you definitely can not get Tylose at Michaels...icon_sad.gif It isn't a Wilton product.icon_evil.gif

I think they make something else to sell at Michaels... Gumtex??? not sure ... I have never tried it cause I only heard bad things about it...

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 16 Jul 2009 , 12:57pm
post #10 of 10

You can order Tylose from Country Kitchen or Global Sugar. If you have a local cake supply store, they will have it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%