I'm Officially Licensed! So Excited!

Business By Cakeandcupcakes Updated 14 Jul 2009 , 6:23pm by IsaSW

Cakeandcupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeandcupcakes Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 10:15pm
post #1 of 19

I am officially licensed to do cakes! I met with the Department of Agriculture today and they issued my license. I am living in Michigan and baking out of a rental kitchen. I was just so excited I had to share. icon_biggrin.gif

18 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 10:26pm
post #2 of 19

One jealous heffer here icon_cry.gif

writing to wish you Congratulations! And Best of Luck with your business! thumbs_up.gif

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Amymnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amymnn Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 10:31pm
post #3 of 19

Wow, congratulations! Onward to the cake decorating/designing in the licensed world icon_smile.gif
Enjoy!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 11:05pm
post #4 of 19

Congratulations and I hope you make a lot of money!! party.gif

Sweetriley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetriley Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 11:16pm
post #5 of 19

Congrats!! That is so great. I'm sure you worked hard! Can I ask how you went about finding a rental kitchen? Thanks.

sportsmom005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sportsmom005 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 11:18pm
post #6 of 19

Congratulations! I'm so jealous! This is only a hobby for me right now, but I hope to keep practicing and get good enough to go pro. I'm in Michigan too. Where are abouts do you live?

Chrisy

suz3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suz3 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 11:21pm
post #7 of 19

YEAH for you. How very exciting. Congrats!!!!

Lelka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lelka Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 11:22pm
post #8 of 19

Congratulations!!!

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 11:24pm
post #9 of 19

So exciting!! Congratulations!!

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 11:28pm
post #10 of 19

Now you can advertise yourself with no worries icon_biggrin.gif you go cakeandcupcakes

Cakeandcupcakes Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 11:29pm
post #11 of 19

I'm located in Clinton Township near Detroit. I found my kitchen on Craigslist actually. It's a VFW kitchen in Ferndale. I had some luck going through the phone book to find a church kitchen but it wasn't ideal. The VFW only charges me on the days I use the kitchen and they are pretty cheap as far as I can tell.

Thanks for all the well wishes! I must say I never considered it until coming on this site all the time and seeing "are you licensed". I figured it must be an important thing to do. icon_smile.gif

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 11:30pm
post #12 of 19

Congrats!! I crossed that milestone April !st! Prepare for long days a couple of migraines and a great sense of acomplishment!
Good luck to you!!
Laura

IsaSW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IsaSW Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 3:38pm
post #13 of 19

Congratulations,
My kitchen inspection is in two weeks, any tips to make it go easier?
My kitchen is at my home. I am lucky, Virginia lets you bake from home.

Cakeandcupcakes Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 3:50pm
post #14 of 19

Honestly it was much easier than I thought. The inspector wasn't really concerned with handling or how I was making the cakes. She was mainly checking that the kitchen was clean. I'd say as long as your place is spotless you should be okay. Good Luck!

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 3:51pm
post #15 of 19

Congratulations! I hope to be posting that myself soon. I hope things go very well for you.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 3:52pm
post #16 of 19

Congratulations! I hope to be posting that myself soon. I hope things go very well for you.

Sillyred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sillyred Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 4:40pm
post #17 of 19

I'm from Michigan too, the west side of the state. I've just started to look into the whole licensing issue. Can I ask you a bit about the steps you took...did you just contact Dept of Agriculture and they guided you through the process?? How long did the whole process take? Any tips you can share would be fantastic! Oh, did you have to go to Lansing at all?
Thanks in advance!

Cakeandcupcakes Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 4:53pm
post #18 of 19

You'll need to find a licensed rental kitchen because you can't get licensed in your home. It took me awhile to find the right path but then it was easy. You just need to download the form from the FDA website, fill it out and send it in with your check. It took about a month for them to call me but that was last Friday and she set up my visit for Monday. It took her about a half hour to go through the kitchen and that was it. Piece of cake. icon_smile.gif

IsaSW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IsaSW Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 6:23pm
post #19 of 19

Thank you!
I guess I should start cleaning huh?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%