"i Did Not Realize It's Going To Be This Small"

Decorating By Pebbles1727 Updated 14 Jul 2009 , 7:53pm by cylstrial

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 4:22am
post #31 of 38

I myself know that a six-inch cake serves 10-12, but they do look very small. Many people, used to sheet cakes, don't see the height of a cake, only the diameter/surface area, and assume the cake is only going to feed one.

That's one of the reasons I won't do a cake smaller than an eight-incher. The other reason is that it takes almost just as much time to prepare and decorate an eight-inch cake as a six-inch.

misha35 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misha35 Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 6:41am
post #32 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

cake muggles .

Ahh, I LOVE this. I will have to use it. been reading Harry Potter with my son (on book 4 now). The Muggles reference made me chuckle - thanks!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 11:39am
post #33 of 38

I think the cake is super cute. And you don't have to worry about that lady. All she had to do was get out a measuring tape and see what a 6 inch cake is. I mean who doesn't know what that looks like?

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 12:16pm
post #34 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

I think the cake is super cute. And you don't have to worry about that lady. All she had to do was get out a measuring tape and see what a 6 inch cake is. I mean who doesn't know what that looks like?

Apparently the woman's husband has removed all measuring tapes from the house................ icon_razz.gif

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 12:37pm
post #35 of 38

I agree with mensch, I don't do anything smaller than a 9 inch for the very reason you are describing. Of course, I do a smash cake with a larger order, but I will not just sell a 6 inch cake because I know people will balk at the size of it. If I really felt like I should do something, I may have sold them a 9 inch round, single layer. It is a small cake but more surface area on the top - KWIM?

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 12:56pm
post #36 of 38

I don't sell a 6" by itself, not because people may balk at the size, but because it's not worth my time. I'm a home baker, if I take an order for a 6" and no other orders, my price per serving does not match up to my time spent. At my base price per serving it would be $54. To buy ingredients, bake, make buttercream, tort, fill, decorate.... with ingredients... Now if I were a bakery, I would throw them together all the time.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 5:40pm
post #37 of 38

If she's not a baker, I'll bet she had the usual home cake pan size of 8 - 9 inches in her head. No matter how many times I bake a smaller diameter, my brain 'sees' 9 inches as normal.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 7:53pm
post #38 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

Apparently the woman's husband has removed all measuring tapes from the house................ icon_razz.gif

LOL! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%